TNs: side-by-side Blind tasting of 2 Kabinett from Grunhaus/Von Schubert in 2020: Herrenberg and Abtsberg

I’ve never tasted these side-by-side, and thought it would be fun to learn a thing or two. I blinded them because I didn’t want my love of Herrenberg to unknowingly influence my thoughts. In the end, they’re not that different.

2020 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/26/2024)
– uncorked 30 min. before initial taste on Day 1 –
– tasted blind alongside another 2020 Grunhaus Kabinett (Abtsberg) over 1.5 hrs. on Day 1; revisited on Days 2 and 3 (bags pulled at end of Day 2) –
– this was in Bag #2; Abtsberg in Bag #4
– AP #: … 04 21 –

NOSE: Day 1: smells “brighter” than #4; light gooseberry; clearly Riesling. Day 2: gooseberry and lime; betting on this being the Herrenberg at this point.

BODY: light, pale green-yellow color; medium bodied.

TASTE: Day 1; medium acid; light; proper Kabinett; juicy red currant note on the mid-palate. Day 2: medium+ acid; zippy tropical gooseberry with a tiny bit of a creamy edge to it; very nice!; more expressive today than #4; comes across as sweeter today than it did yesterday; more petrol than #4; honestly, I flip-flopped between the two as to which one I preferred. 7.5% abv… Excellent, as was expected.

2020 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/26/2024)
– uncorked 30 min. before initial taste on Day 1 –
– tasted blind alongside another 2020 Grunhaus Kabinett (Herrenberg) over 1.5 hrs. on Day 1; revisited on Days 2 and 3 (bags pulled at end of Day 2) –
– this was in Bag #4; Herrenberg in Bag #2
– AP #: … 10 21 –

NOSE: Day 1: mineral and a touch underbrushy; bit more expressive than #2. Day 2: smells a touch more sweet than #2 – cotton candy.

BODY: light, pale green-yellow color; medium bodied.

TASTE: Day 1: bit more lime than #2, and seems to be a touch more sweet, too. Day 2: medium to medium+ acidity; touch less petrol than #2; seems sweeter today than yesterday; 7.5% abv.; liked this a lot — both wines are excellent — will buy again. If this little mini tasting showed me anything as to the relative merits of these wines, it’s that one shouldn’t be chased to the exclusion of the other — they’re far more similar than they are different.

9 Likes