TNs Recent--14 Rhys, 15 Larrivet Blanc, 14 Beaune Blanc, 05 Suduiraut, 10 Veleta, 12 Zins

2014 Rhys Bearwallow Pinot Noir

Opened day of and slow-oxed. Somewhat earthy but also ripe aromatics give way to a still-young palate but also with a hint or richness of fruit and some sappiness to it too. While I’ll keep my other 2 bottles to see how they evolve, I’m wondering whether or not I like Bearwallow as a vineyard that expresses AV to me (I do think I prefer e.g. Ferrington, Valenti, Cerise, Savoy).

2014 Le Grappin Beaune Greves Blanc

After an uninspiring Jacques Prieure, I was ready to maybe throw in the towel on these—and then this one comes along. Terrific stuff here, a fine flow and conversation nose-to-mouth with some pear core, nut paste, a bit of marzipan and a bit of mineral. It all works on a lovely frame and is another 14 drinking well already. Bravo, Andrew!

2015 Chateau Larrivet Haut-Brion Blanc

Pretty is a term that works here—it’s light on its feet and has some grassy notes, but overlaid with some definite tropical hints–unripe pineapple and some guava even come to mind. The nice thing is that they are accents to the basic drive that comes from Bordeaux Blancs. Not a world-beater but real nice value for the price. Probably best in a couple years.

2010 Veleta Nolados

One of the bottles Nola gave me when I visited her, I wanted to open this for my friends Tim and Alissa Burgess (for their birthdays) as they hadn’t had one yet. This also is pretty (Cab Sauv, Cab Franc and Temp)—while it’ll never be mistaken for a Vina Tondonia or Vega Unico, it has plenty of charm, almost-exuberant red fruit, a touch of coolness and a smidge of leather. Will try again tonight to check on it.

2012 Carlisle Carlisle Zin

Tim opened this and the next one to do a comparison. My slight preference was for the Carlisle. Tim properly notes that it’s not as precise as the Novy, not as poised, but for me the brambles and bilberry flavours stay on the tongue longer and keep talking, something I like in my Zins. Checking in at 15.4%, it seems to carry it just fine. Nice wine

2012 Novy Carlisle Zin

I found this more forward than the Carlisle, but not in a bad way. The red and ripe black fruit is at the fore, but not heavy in any way, though it presents slightly sweeter. To me, there is plenty of expressiveness which maybe comes at a cost of some complexity at the back end. Both this and the Carlisle had plenty to say with the short ribs I brought along for dinner.

2005 Chateau Suduiraut

Opened but capped for 2 days. My first taste seemed to indicate to me that this was, surprisingly, ready to go. And I don’t have any reason to change that assessment on tasting. Full scents of orange blossom and toffee swirl up the glass. In the mouth, it’s pure, smooth sugar-pie. Missing extra levels (I’m starting to think that only the Climens and maybe D’Yquem got those in 2005), it doesn’t lack for utter charm and cuddliness and is still licklicious. Will try again tonight.

Kwa Heri

Mike

What I appreciated about the '05 Suduiraut when I had it last year was its relative freshness and energy. I am not a fan of dessert wine and rarely partake in it, but thought it was fresher than the '05 Climens tasted a month prior. Memory can be deceiving, especially when the two wines are tasted side by side, but the Suduiraut could be had with desserts with fresh fruit in them without being cloying.