TNs--Ottawa weekend wines, Pousse D'Or, Bessin, 76 BA, others

Around a delightful weekend with friends, had these bottles

2011 TENZ Sauvignon Blanc

Tom Eddy’s project in New Zealand, I always find a high level of quality here, but now the fruit has become less exuberant both in the sniffer and on the tongue and an almost-lean structure takes the fore. Nettles for sure, lots of lemon and lemon balm and some refreshing grapefruit and stoniness, it has an almost spiced/spicy quality at the back. A little more unique than most, remains enjoyable in a style I like

2012 Alpha Crucius Titan Shiraz

This doesn’t pretend to be anything it’s not, just a full-bodied, easier-drinking shiraz, with dollops of plum, black cherry and barest touch of smoke and menthol. The wood is well-integrated into sweet red and blueish-black fruit, but no real secondary features to speak of

2013 Gray Monk Pinot Gris

This is the grape that, for me, this BC winery has always excelled at and I am happy with this rendition. Pear, some green grape skin and light brushes of melon and peach in the bouquet. Fresh as you’d like, with pear and peach-accented replays along with unripe honeydew….and maybe a nuance of honey, not in texture but in taste—or honeycomb—yeah, I think that’s more the thing. Yet not in any way over-sweet. Just a good summer drink.

2010 Domaine de la Pousse d’Or Volnay Clos de la Bousse D’Or

Wow, was this more than OK. Opened and slow-oxed for about 6 hours as I let a couple of the winemakers in P.E. County have a little sample, the aromatics explode out of the glass with wonderful pure strawberry, chestnut and cocoa with sandalwood and cinnamon overtones. It delivers beautifully on the palate too, combining power and finesse all at once. Bright and slightly sweet red berries are counterpointed by earthiness, cocoa and tinges of cedar and chestnut again. It’s licklicious and I wish I had more.

DINNER AT BECKTA

BBer Boris Palameta had recommended we meet here, and I wanted to take my friend Genny someplace nice for her b-day. This absolutely fit the bill. We both decided to do the tasting menu. My foie, scallops and dessert courses were outstanding, and the veal was good. Just the carpaccio was a little too understated. The service was absolutely top-rate, plenty of engagement, explanation and TLC. For $300 for 2 people with tip, full tasting menu, 2 BYOs and a pair of glass-pours of another, I felt this was money very well spent. Boris and his friend Dominique joined us about halfway through, only adding to a special evening.

2007 Domaine Jean-Claude Bessin Chablis Valmur

I’ll let the server’s “ohmigod, I see why you didn’t want to share any” comment stand as the intro for this, which couldn’t have been in a better spot to drink. Chalk, lime pie, lemongrass and seashell all beguile in the nose. The palate is even better, lemon and lime with just-right light mineral chatting up a storm and yet all in the most civilized and smooth way. This is almost luxuriously elegant and smooth and a wonderful Chablis. I like Valmur anyway, but had never had anything by this producer and was not disappointed.

2010 Chateau Marjosse

Granted, this would likely have to suffer by comparison, but I didn’t get much on the bouquet on opening and not much came to the fore over the night. I kept waiting for it to unwind and it seemed almost petulant, with dark currant, blackberry and blueberry hinted at in a tight, woodsy aroma. To taste, this had some stuffing and some stuff, with currants, cranberries and sour cherry all taking a turn, but no elegance and not the kind of flowing length one would want. OK, but no more.

1976 Schloss Eltz Eltviler Sonnenberg Scheurebe BA

A true treat from Boris Palameta, who was really wonderful to join us with his friend Dominique (after returning home from a trip not a couple hours prior), this had the most gorgeous burnished orange colour, the colour of dark Jamaican rum. It’s also listed at 13% and to drink it now, there’s just no way. Scents of apricot, fig, guava and orange zest come at you. And it sits effortlessly in the mouth, with replays joined by date and very light sweetened hazelnut. A very, very small salt sidebar, like salted taffy, just on the sides. It’s such a complete treasure, in absolutely no danger of declining and simply wonderful to have a chance to try. A special gift.

a bientot,

Mike

I didn’t realize there was a WB contingent in Ottawa? I tried to find people to get together when I was there last year, but no takers. :frowning:

Great notes. Your note on the Pousse is especially helpful. I think Pousse’s Volnay 1ers are some of the better bargains remaining in Burgundy. The 09s and 10s are delicious.

Hi Markus—Boris was a fairly “recent”—and very wonderful–“find”----he posted on my stickie thread about people in different cities willing to get together for OLs. Scott Ercit is also in Ottawa, but was unfortunately (well, lucky for him though!) at a cottage the weekend I was there.

Ryan, thanks. This was my first Pousse, and I don’t expect it will be my last!

I couldn’t very well let a little thing like a delayed flight back from Nova Scotia make me miss my first WB Ottawa offline. Mike, it was great to meet you and Genny.

I can’t add much to your excellent tasting notes, except to say that the Schloss Eltz BA has shown some bottle variation, and I’m glad we got a good 'un. Such a fresh, savoury treat. Thanks for saving me a glass of the Chablis, which showed very well indeed.

I hope we get a chance to do it again soon. Fellow Berserkers are always welcome here as well. Markus, I’m sorry I missed you when you were in Ottawa last year, feel free to PM me next time you’re here, I’ll arrange something for sure. [cheers.gif]