TNs: Mugnier Magic? Not so much.

Wise decision [cheers.gif] . I never understand Mugnier …and was never my go-to producers.

When I see the prices being offered for older Mugniers, I am inclined to sell my stash. But i don’t, because where I am going the money will burn.
I have recently enjoyed the '12 and '10 Clos de la Marshall, and enjoyed them greatly. Elegant and ready to drink.

2001 Mugnier Musigny is one of the best wines I’ve had in my life. Pure magic.

I’ve never had another Mugnier that came close, but they are often lovely wines and, for my money, I find the Chambolle and Fuees worth the price of admission when one can get them at allocation pricing (for me about $150 and $450). The secondary market pricing on the '19s is exceptionally stupid (obviously not a comment unique to Mugnier).

I’m up in Fort Worth for trial for a couple weeks and the restaurant across the street has a Mugnier Amoureuses (I think the '09) on the list for $1k that I’m tempted to try.

3 Likes

Anyone have COVID at the table? That can throw off a wine’s flavor.

Mugnier is always a treat, though I don’t think it’s possible to fulfill the expectations those prices bring.

Fuees is a very dark fruited wine that shows its Bonnes Mares / Morey proximity, even from Mugnier. The village wine may be a better pick for the usual notions of what Chambolle is.

2 Likes

FWIW, I had a bottle of the '19 village off a restaurant list recently (was priced under retail), and it was crazy good, possibly the best young Mugnier Chambolle AC I’ve had. But, yeah, secondary pricing on his '19s is nuts… managed to get a few bottles via allocation but probably won’t buy more.

Bummer. I had a '12 village a few weeks ago. PnP. First glass or two were fantastic – classic Chambolle, with the elegance and texture you hope for from Mugnier.

After about an hour though, the wine definitely started to shut down, and by the end of the night it danced with some of the darker, savory notes you’ve identified. Perhaps another data point on the thinking re: the 2012 vintage right now.

I hope the marechale you kept was the blanc Alan.

I was going for warm over hot :wink:

I forgot about the hail too, thanks for that. I was actually there in 2012 and got caught in a hail storm. Wasn’t fun!

rouge. Never tried a blanc.

I really don’t get this. The blanc in my opinion has always represented a poor QPR. And the inference that the rouge is lacking.

Just writing up notes on a Ten Year On 2012 retrospective. Am broadly in agreement with William in general about the vintage. The only Mugnier wine included was the Clos de la Maréchale and in fact it showed very well - much better than when I last tried it in 2018 as part of a vertical. I noted then that it had been slightly hailed, but it now seems to have shrugged that off.
I have a case of the 2007 Mugnier village Chambolle which I have just broached. Perfectly stored since purchase En Primeur, but alas the first bottle was definitely noticeably bretty

1 Like

The Mugnier 2001 Amoureuses is one of my hands down great Burgundies, and I’ve had several bottles of it. And it seems that I should consider opening my 2005 Fuees. In the 90ies he was still on his learning curve (I’ve had dinner with him around 20 years ago). But I’ve drunk his 2000 era wines too sporadically. As for 2007 wines I haven’t had any Mugniers. But the Chevillon Les St Georges 07 seem to have fallen off a cliff recently, have had 2 bottles the last year, 3 years ago they were brilliant. Sorry for the off topic.

1 Like

I would say his 90s just weren’t that great, and the once he hit his stride around 2000 the wines became spectacular. Like all winemakers, he’s not immune to the occasional weaker vintage (Jasper mentioned the brett on the 07 village, or what I, being vastly less technical, might call “funk”), but even his 11s were quite good.

I still think the hate on Clos de La Marechale rouge is based on its wide availability. There is more than twice as much of it than the whole rest of Mugnier’s portfolio. Followers of our hobby prefer unicorns.

Reading notes and comments here, you’d think the village Chambolle is clearly superior, but try them blind side-by-side, and it’s not so clear.

2 Likes

I don’t know about others, but I much prefer not having to jump through hoops to obtain wines I want to drink. Would love it if some of the wines I enjoy were produced in larger quantities and easier to find

1 Like

Sorry for your bad experience. I agree that we’ve probably all had highly anticipated/rated wines that disappointed.

I’d put Mugnier in the top tier of Burgundy makers. Happy for this thread, because I have 06 and 08’s, but no ’07. Blind luck.

Decided to try a 2010 Chambolle-Musigny “Les Fuées” because I have a few (too many) bottles. While probably in need of another 5+ years to really show further development and be at its best, the wine certainly is a denser, richer-styled Chambolle and is hardly delicate, or dare I say feminine. While I drink way more Bordeaux, this is no doubt a very fine wine which was fairly priced (relatively) a decade ago. I am not a buyer of wines priced like this one is today.

Brady, you’ve said this before and it’s just not true. The Clos de la Marechale is a solid wine, it’s often very rustic (especially on the palate) and lacks the finesse of the Chambolle. This isn’t surprising - the Marechale is the most southern portion of the cote de Nuits (and, if you’re looking for Mugnier like wines, the correctly less fancied portion of Nuits St. Georges), has worse vine genetics and is the largest monopole in burgundy. Also, the Chambolle sees a fair amount of 1er cru Chambolle that Mugnier doesn’t vinify separately. This isn’t a “unicorn” issue like the Roumier Echezeaux or the Faiveley Musigny.

The sense I get from the Bouchard thread is not that people are interested in paying more for their harder to find Collin.