TNs--Movie Night Wines---17 Chablisienne Les Clos, 05 Guiraud

My close friend Andrew has, since Covid, organized an online weekly film club. Occasionally, I take the 40 minute drive to wander over to his place to watch with him and his wife Tessa (the movie choice this week was Mami Wata). I usually bring some stuff to drink :slight_smile:

2017 Chablisienne Chablis Les Clos

I don’t know if I think much about terroir when I drink Chablis, but I sure do with Les Clos. This shows that. pop and pour, aromatics and flavours are strongly mineral/limestone and this has a real tactile balance between chalkiness and acidity. There’s a definitive sage component to the slightly sweet lemon and grapefruit profile. It’s very good, if not super-elevated.

2005 Chateau Guiraud

From half, it’s been open for about 5 days (capped). I’ve had an uneven history with the 05s, but this was one of the good bottles. Absolutely all over liquid creme brulee—the baked maple syrup element was unmistakable. There’s a touch of mango and some dates lurking underneath, and a tick of botrytis remains. I don’t think there’s any reason not to open now. Acidity is quite reserved here and so for those looking for a fresher exposition, this may not be your thing, but licklicous? For sure.

Haere Ra,

Mike

3 Likes

Hell ya Mike! :heart: Their 2017’s are SO good! Just had the Mdt…

TN: 2017 La Chablisienne Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre