TNs: Matthiasson and Pepiere--wines for the heat

These showed well tonight with a giant cheese and organic fruit course we put together. Is there a better value in white than Pepiere and the white blend that Jill and Steve turn out every year, I dig their cuvee. Thanks for reading.

• 2011 Matthiasson White Wine - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/4/2016)
    Medium bodied with a bit of glycierine/honey in the texture. The fruit is formed up of lemongrass, grapefruit. Finish shows some toasty, citrus fruit and a refreshing feel and texture. Ready to go at this stage and drinking well.
  • 2014 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (9/4/2016)
    Sea air, grapefruit and mineral are the dominant flavors/notes right out of the chute, brushed with tangerine. Finishes with green apple, tangerine and lemon zest. Simply one of the best wines anywhere for less than 20 bucks, joined by what comes under the cork every vintage with this stuff.

Posted from CellarTracker
20160904_171628_resized.jpg

Nice combo! I’ve got a couple of the Matthiasson sitting here for upcoming drinking as well.

Had the 2015 Briords tonight… Very similar notes but more lime than tangerine, with the savoriness twined with the acidity perfectly. Bottle 1/12 for the year, looking forward to seeing what it looks like in 3-4 if I don’t drink all of it this year!

Nice notes, Frank! Hard to ever go wrong with Pepiere, looking forward to shipping weather so I can try my 15s. Tried that Matthiason in Park City last month, really nice stuff. What’s retail on it? Was $95 or $105 at a restaurant.

Agree with you on both counts. The Matthiasson is the top “kitchen sink” white blend in California, easily eclipsing similar efforts from other producers.

Frank, what heat? High was a cool windy 75 for us yesterday! Similar today.
Thanks for reminding me that I need to try Matthiasson. I’ve hesitated as he seems heavily into Italian reds that I generally find less than compelling from CA.

Pete, we had been in College Station, Texas watching the UCLA/A&M game, going to Austin and also playing golf. Hot all over the place there.

Alf, paid $35 for the Matthiasson. I buy their wines (Cab and Chard) too, as they make a style that to me is more traditional, not of the current era Napa wines IMO. I also dig these guys because they send wine and support our annual charity event every year, which aids the domestic violence shelter here in the OC. Great people.

PS–photo below for those who know Kyle Field. I shot this from the 16th fairway. Gig 'Em!
20160903_135516_resized.jpg

Frank, thanks. I’ll check out some of his stuff. He apparently also makes a Linerick Lane Zin!
Enjoy the heat. It’s 70 here right now.

Frank, you inspired me to open a 13 of the Matthiasson (partly because I needed a little splash of something decent to cook with). I think this is my 3rd bottle of this, sorry to see the last of it. This has a bit of dried pineapple, some red apple, and a bit of that grapefruit you described, along with a touch of tangy tartness. Really enjoyable.