Tn's: Macphail, Benovia, Emerson Brown, Zepaltas, Ect

Dutton estate Karmen Isabella Pinot noir '08 russian river valley
Strawberry skin, red cherries, cola, roses and brown sugar. Drinking nicely now.

Zepaltas russian river pinot '09
Pours a bit tight, then gives up cherries and baking spices with silken tannin and medium acid. Day 2, even better, more aromatic.

Zepaltas W.E. Bottoms russian river
Decanted per ryans instruction, and it needed it. Head and shoulders over the very nice rrv wine. Deep cherries and red raspberries, a touch of minerality. Floral and oak element add complexity. Intense and balanced. 13.4 alc/bv. Really nice.

Macphail tolouse vineyard '09 anderson valley
Red plum skins and red cherries, almost tart carmel apple notes on the nose. Bright acidity, Day 2, silken tannin on a delicate frame, still plenty of acid. Everything more on the second day with life ahead, wished it was a magnum. I have really enjoyed all the 09 macphails i have had.

Dehlinger estate pinot noir russian river valley '09
Darker toned and pretty extracted. Even decanted this is not showing much other than plenty of structure and some primary fruit, with a muted nose, and some heat… Left it for a day. The heat is gone and some vanilla spice and a little funk coming out, with pure cherry expression on the darker end. Much more aromatic, and complex with an almost plush feel and pure lingering fruit. These are meant to age and i see why. That being said this wine was a riper style.

Hirsch bohan- dillon pinot sonoma coast pinot '09
Floral nose with darker cherries and cranberry, and some leather. Lower tannin, medium acid. Not bad if not amazingly comlex.

Benovia sonoma coast pinot '09
Iced tea, raspberry, Cranberry and cinnamon, with slippery tannin. Intense, with bright acidity. This changed so much during the bottle, from the initial pour, to being decanted. Really enjoyed this alot. This never suggested cola, extra points in my book.

Dutton estates gail annes syrah '05 russian river
Aromatic and open, with peppery black fruits and plum. Fine coating tannin, black cherry, cola, coffee bean, and some spicebox stuff. Plenty of life ahead. A few years really does a lot for there syrahs.

Zepaltas Rosella’s syrah santa lucia highlands '08
Poured kinda bloody, then gave way to Coffee, blackberries, camphor, soy sauce and cocoa powder. Coating tannin and round feel, dark and structured. The coffee in this is really dominant.

Emerson Brown Cab oakville '08
Black cherry, cassis, raspberry and sweet oak. Dark chocolate, nice weight and plushness. Some camphor and licorice coming together on day 2 for a better showing yet. These are pretty nice.

Quivet kenefick ranch cab '09
Black raspberry, black cherries and sweet oak. This has gained a good bit of weight in the last 3 months. Also darkened up a bit as far as the fruit character. Lush mouthfeel and great freshness. These '09 mikes smith’s are great.

Thanks for the notes Corey. I used to really like the Macphail wines, but for some reason haven’t purchased any since '05 or '06. Do you know if he is making these at Copain-I thought I heard that somewhere.

James is making out of his own place just outside of Santa Rosa, nice barn next to his house. He was an extremely gracious host this past May, and it was a great place to taste his wines.

Howard

Thanks Howard [cheers.gif]

Santa Rosa? He is making the wines in Healdsburg but that might change to Mt. Veeder with Hess’ acquisition of the brand.

MacPhail is a very under appreciated producer. On the more opulent side of the spectrum but definitely not in the KB territory.

Great wines. The 2009 Sonoma Coast might be his best yet…

Nice to see Ryan’s wines getting some more love. I’m looking to seeing what Zepaltas has in the fall release.

Monte

Has the 09 been released yet?

Correction… this was the '08 dehlinger. Love the '09 macphails as well.

Sorry David, I meant Healdsburg…

I did not know about the acquisition. Doesn’t James make the Pinot for the Hess Pinot program now?

Howard