TNs: Grab bag from mid-week (d'Armailhac, Arietta, etc.)

• 1995 Château d’Armailhac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (5/11/2010)
    Beautiful full red color. Aromatic nose that has a little mint added to the classic Pauillac notes of graphite, black currant, cedar, and tobacco. In the mouth, this is a textural delight. It has a velvety, caressing mouth feel that allows the plush fruit to coast along, supported by ample complexity and a cool minty note. Ripe, smooth tannins. Drinking beautifully. A-
  • 2000 Arietta Red Wine Premiere Napa Valley Lot 38 - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/11/2010)
    This was just a terrific surprise. Roughly equal parts Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Syrah. A chameleon of the wine, the tobacco notes of the Cabernet Franc soar a bit higher than the meaty Syrah and soft Merlot on the nose. There’s a refinement and class on the palate that is just delightful, with great focus and purity, yet you still can’t quite get a grasp on the true character of the blend. That’s how much fun it is. Beautifully executed. A-/A
  • 2007 Joseph Swan Vineyards Tannat Matthew’s Station - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/11/2010)
    15.1% alcohol. This seems like it’s a more mature, spicy Zinfandel. It’s terrific. Very dark purple-red color. Lovely nose of black fruit, spice, and minerals. In the mouth, it’s just ripe and fruity, although still with plenty of tannic structure that you expect from this grape. An approachable, delicious wine. A-
  • 2007 Sequana Pinot Noir Dutton Ranch - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (5/11/2010)
    Dark cherry color. Pronounced oak on the nose, covers up some of the pretty blackberry and black cherry notes. In the mouth, vibrant and getting plenty of oak spice coming under the fruit. Solid finish that is still showing somewhat primary oak notes. Needs time to integrate. B+
  • 2009 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Vin Gris of Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/11/2010)
    14.1% alcohol. Just the refreshing thing you need to have at the start of a summer dinner. Luscious strawberry and cherry fruit. Crisp and refreshing. A-

Posted from CellarTracker

SInce May 11th was my birthday, I would have loved to taste these wines.

When Adam Lee was here in March at Brix, he said he is going to be at Hugo’s June 9th. Maybe I’ll get to meet you then if you are there.

Monte

Thanks, Tom. I’m happy to see that SOMETHING from Joseph Swan drinks well young!!

Indeed, Todd … heck of a wine. Surprised it’s showing so well!

Monte – happy birthday! Definitely planning on joining in the Hugo’s dinner …