TNs: Evening of mature Portuguese reds (Caves São João, Quinta do Carmo)

Had a fantastic time this evening with fellow berserker Scott Sorenson, his lovely wife and friends at Cozy Restaurant in Lisbon’s Campolide district, a few minutes away from where I live. The manager, Carlos, is an impeccable host and passionate wine lover who has always contributed to make our wine soirees memorable with faultless service and splendid food. The lineup was terrific and we were fortunate that Scott’s bottles and mine were in good shape.

We started with the white 2018 Pura from Textura, one of the most exciting Dão projects in recent years. Marcelo Villela’s dream of bringing the spirit of Burgundy and Barolo to the terroir of Vila Nova de Tazem and Penalva do Castelo has come true with a bang. I first had this wine at one of the Essência festivals and instantly went to fetch some oysters, as if by instinct. It displayed, yet again, a remarkably complex nose - yellow and orange citrus, ginger, yeast - and delicious, sapid acidity. Despite the breadth and poise of its structure it’s very much a food wine - an elegant, subtle complement to the table. Very grateful to Scott for bringing another bottle of this in my direction.

The 1995 Caves São João Reserva that Scott brought - our first red this evening - was part of a discount campaign from Garrafeira Nacional we both bought extensively from, and which I advertised here on the forum. I remember buying this wine for 12,50€, the price of a Zinfandel from Costco, as we joked at the table. As expected, it did not drink anywhere near 12,50€: it’s a superb example of Bairrada/Dão from yesteryear, barnyard-y and lithe, cool in the way it balances rusticity and elegance. This would make many Bordeaux lovers very happy.

Onwards to the Quinta do Carmo wines. The cork on the 1988 crumbled upon opening, yet wines from this extraordinary golden age of the Estremoz estate, under the supervision of Júlio Bastos, are usually capable of living up to the challenge, and then some. Unbelievably youthful, pitch black and saturated with the darkest of fruit and the richest of spices, this looked, smelled and tasted like a ten year old wine. An entry level bottle that drank like a king’s, and a bittersweet paean to the oldest Alicante Bouschet vines in the Alentejo, over 90% of which were destroyed by the Rothschilds after they bought Quinta do Carmo in 1992.

Finally, the 1987 Garrafeira, my contribution to the table. I made it clear to everyone present that expectations for this bottle were low: my other one from the same purchase was dead as a dodo this month, and ullage on this one did not seem much better. After the astonishing 1988 I was prepared to conclude the evening on an anticlimactic note. Fortunately it was not to be: this was a sound bottle of what was considered the greatest Portuguese dry wine of its generation (the 1986 vintage having famously defeated Chateau Mouton from the same vintage in a blind tasting with representatives of the Rothschilds). It was rich and luscious, dominated by bitter chocolate and AB vegetable, and what little volatile there was on the first pours quickly blew off. Not quite as stunning as my last bottle of this in 2020, but reasonably close.

It doesn’t take much effort to assemble a memorable lineup for a memorable evening in this corner of the world, and I love to remind myself of that every once in a while.

14 Likes

What a great night! Looking forward to trying the bottle of 95 caves sao joao - we picked one up in Lisbon!

1 Like

I agree with everything you say in your eloquent comments Tomás. Each of these wines was special in its own way and yet another reminder of how lucky we are to have ready access to these distinctive food friendly wines. This is an evening we will long remember, not least for the lively conversation and wonderful company.

2 Likes

Wine, companions, food, setting. Sounds like you guys nailed it! Cheers.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Caves Sao Joao note — I have a bottle of the same that I’ve been staring at for the past year or so, never having found the “right time” to open it. If I could have bought that wine at 12,50€ I would have bought multiple cases — that’s an absurd deal! Interestingly, the label on your bottle is completely different than the label on mine … I assume it’s a “different labels for different markets” thing.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not a different bottling? I’d love to see that and clarify things.

FWIW, Several months back I posted a wordy TN including bottle photo of what may be the wine you have? . I could be wrong.

Bingo.

@Tomas_Costa , the picture in Jim’s post is exactly the label I have on mine. Although Jim didn’t put “Reserva” in the title of his thread, you can see the red stamp in the upper RH corner of the label indicating it is, in fact, the Reserva.

That’s a completely different wine, indeed. Not only is it a Cabernet Sauvignon, it’s specifically sourced from Quinta do Poço do Lobo, a Bairrada propriety owned by the Caves São João.

2 Likes

Cool! Good to know. The Wine Berserkers community never ceases to amaze me … there’s always someone who knows! Thanks, Tomas. :slight_smile:

Oddly, I think your note fits this Quinta do Poco do Lobo - sourced wine perfectly!

I haven’t seen the São João Reserva around New York in a long time. I remember first discovering those in the mid-2000s. I think at the time the vintages were from the 80s. They gave much mature-wine bang for the buck. I should try to track some down.

The great advantage of mature wines from the Caves São João is their great availability coupled with good provenance. CSJ has cellared and continues to cellar older vintages with the express purpose of providing wines at maturity for consumers, not just for certain niche bottles but at a large scale. Naturally this has allowed the wines to reach foreign markets, namely those with sizable Portuguese immigrant communities. There are countless other mature wines over here that have always sold for a song and continue to provide great pleasure, particularly from the Dão and Bairrada cooperatives.

This is the Caves Sao Joao Reserva Particular?
If so, I’ve a magnum I picked up at the cellar.

Had the Pura red and white a couple of weeks ago and thought they were both really good. Glad to see the validation from a expert.

1 Like

A phenomenal bottle of wine that made me feel it was worth reviving this thread. Whereas the 1987 Quinta do Carmo Garrafeira I shared with @Scott_C_Sorenson was merely sound, this bottle of the same wine had another two or three gears to it: apart from extraordinarily youthful, it was sublimely intense, almost overwhelming in the way only great wines manage to be. Warm, earthy Alicante Bouschet leather, rich dark fruit, gorgeous ripe resolved tannin. The tasting note is virtually equivalent to my previous bottle, but the intensity was up several notches, reminding me that this and the 1986 were truly the greatest Portuguese dry wines of their generation. Will the modern equivalent of this bottling, Júlio Bastos’ “Júlio B. Bastos” ever be as good in its maturity?

3 Likes

I hope the Julio Bastos will be as good! I’m guessing it has more new oak than the old wines.

That was a memorable dinner Tomas and hope we have another opportunity. I enjoyed that wine and am glad to hear this bottle turned up the intensity.

1 Like

Carlos will be opening his own place, right in front of Cozy, sometime in August. It’ll be Portuguese-Moroccan, curiously. And of course, he’s looking forward to being able to host a lot more of these events!

1 Like