TNs: Casual gathering with friends

Finally done with the last of the drinking over the festive period, going to take a break till new year’s day now [image]

CHRISTMAS GATHERING WITH HIGH SCHOOL FRIENDS - (27/12/2022)

• NV Adrien Renoir Champagne Grand Cru Le Terroir Extra Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    From magnum. Quite tight at first, the acidity and tension stuck out but with air it became more similar to previous impressions with ripe citrus fruits. I think this is the best entry-level champagne together with Bereche’s. (91 pts.)
  • 2015 Albert Boxler Pinot Blanc “B” - France, Alsace
    Most thought this was similar to a Riesling but I felt this was more aromatic and had much lower acid, probably more similar to a northern Rhone white with a strong grapefruit note. Too soft and too much tropical notes for my liking in a white, but this seemed to be popular among the rest. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine Antoine Lienhardt Côte de Nuits Villages Aux Vignottes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Côte de Nuits Villages
    Brought this to do a side-by-side with the Donum. Quite dark and a little smoky, obviously more restrained compared to the Donum with more earthy and savoury notes. Much better with air as it had a cola note that was a little distracting at first. First time trying this producer, reminded me a little of Roty’s wines in style. (90 pts.)
  • 2019 Donum Pinot Noir Carneros - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros
    A friend generously opened this after handcarrying it back from the US, but unfortunately it was one of the worst wines I have tried this year. Maybe too young etc etc, but this was such a formulaic US Pinot with a huge dose of vanilla on the nose, simple candied fruit with quite an offensive amount of sweetness for a Pinot. (80 pts.)
  • 2019 Pecchenino Dogliani Superiore Bricco Botti - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Dogliani Superiore
    Yes this was a dark and oaky wine but it was not too heavy or thick, still had very good acidity and intense purple fruit. A great value crowd-pleaser sort of wine that I can get behind. All their Dolcettos are superb value. (90 pts.)
  • 2015 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    From half. Very youthful but already very expressive, so light-footed and graceful for an Auslese. I usually don’t like metaphors but I can’t think of a better description than a ballerina for this wine. What a wine, too bad there was only a tiny pour for eight people. (94 pts.)

1 Like

A well deserved mini break :clap:

1 Like