TNs: Burgundy vs Barolo

BURGUNDY VS BAROLO - (25/7/2023)

Thought that it would be difficult but ended up 12/12. Tell-tale signs were acidity and the VA for the Barolos, while the Burgundies had markedly softer tannins. Overall I preferred the Barolos to the Burgundies as most of the latter were too masculine. Quality of producers was also definitely higher for the former.

• 2016 Roagna Montemarzino Derthona - Italy, Piedmont, Vino da Tavola
    Nutty with a hint of reduction and honeysuckle notes. Agree with a previous note that said this was between a Riesling and Chardonnay. (90 pts.)
  • 1992 Maison Roche de Bellene Latricières-Chambertin Collection Bellenum - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Latricières-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Not often that I come across a birth year wine. Guessed 90s Gevrey if it was properly stored. Had tertiary soy and mushroom notes but kept very much alive by the high acidity. For a weak vintage, this was very good. (91 pts.)
  • 2012 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo Monvigliero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Guessed as 2013 Barolo. Some spice and high-toned red fruit notes. Firm backbone and tannins. With air, it put on a lovely elegance. My favourite of the flight. (93 pts.)
  • 2011 Bouchard Père et Fils Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Noirots - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    I didn’t get a green note that some pointed out, so I guessed 2013 Burgundy based on the high acidity. Prominent vanilla note on the nose. Vibrant cherry fruit but had distracting powdery tannins. A more structured Chambolle. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Le Vigne - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    At first, this was my favourite with attractive, elegant red fruit and just the right amount of VA. With time it became more creamy, powerful and alcoholic. Guessed a modern Barolo producer from a warm vintage like 2012. (91 pts.)
  • 2005 Lucie & Auguste Lignier Gevrey-Chambertin Les SeuvrĂ©es - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    Brought as an extra. Dark, extracted fruit with some five spice and savoury notes. The imposing tannic structure wasn’t in my wheelhouse. (88 pts.)
  • 2013 Chanson Père & Fils Charmes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Guessed a 2015 Burgundy from a really bad maker. Over-ripe, candied fruit with a jarring acidity that should have led me to 2013. Really disliked the syrupy nature of the wine. Been some time since I’ve been so offended by a Burgundy. (80 pts.)
  • 2013 Luigi Oddero Barolo Rocche Rivera - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    My contribution. Quite closed at the moment, but this was a classy wine with everything in place. Well-balanced wine with structure and acidity, good purity of dark cherry fruit. Textbook classic Barolo. (92 pts.)
  • 1993 Armand Vincenot Vosne-RomanĂ©e - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Vosne-RomanĂ©e
    Was thinking that this was a Burgundy from a high-acid year like 2008 but was surprised when it turned out to be much older. Slightly cloudy with some coffee notes. A bolder, old-school sort of Burgundy. (89 pts.)
  • 2013 G.D. Vajra Barolo Albe - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Guessed as a young, slightly modern Barolo from 2016. Some VA on the nose gave a high-toned freshness to the wine. High acidity and structure, even though it was a lighter style of Barolo. Needs more time. (91 pts.)
  • 2012 Schiavenza Barolo Prapò - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Had a sharp acidity but the alcohol heat was evident from a warmer vintage. Guessed 2011 Barolo. Not the most balanced wine. (89 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine François Gerbet Vosne-RomanĂ©e 1er Cru Les Petits Monts - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Vosne-RomanĂ©e 1er Cru
    Quite heavy on the toasted oak. Darker end of the fruit spectrum for a Burgundy, so went for 2015 Gevrey. Lacked the finesse and freshness of recent vintages, slight over-use of stems? (89 pts.)
  • 2006 Domaine Chicotot Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Rue de Chaux - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru
    Another muscular wine with toasty oak. Tough and not the most refined tannins. Guessed another old-school maker from the 2000s. (87 pts.)

4 Likes

Thanks for a very interesting set of notes, and your comparisons.

2 Likes

Melvin, very nice tasting and I appreciate the notes and comparisons. I’m curious what the selection criteria were. Purchase price? Whatever participants happened to have in their cellars or at hand? There are some older Burgs (92/93/05/06) but the oldest Barolo was from 2012.

1 Like

Totally understand what you mean by being offended by a wine. Fortunately I can’t remember when it last happened to me, probably a result of mostly drinking wines I bought myself.

3 Likes

Nice write up Melvin, very interesting :wine_glass:

1 Like

I was mildly offended by the 1996 Dominique Laurent Nuit Saints Georges Les Cailles recently. Pleasant and silky enough, but if I’d tasted it blindly, I’m not sure I would have pegged it as a Burgundy or a pinot. There was no sense of terroir, and a faint but noticeable overlay of sweet oak (this was in Laurent’s 200% new oak days). Just kind of generic, pleasant, mature red.

2 Likes

Not in as high a class, but a 2013 Charles Audoin Marsannay was pretty close to undrinkable—it’s been a long time since any Burg did that to me.

Great notes, Melvin, and chapeau for so many close guesses on your part.

1 Like

Thanks all for your comments!

@R_Frankel theme was Barolos / Burgundies 2016 or older with a USD$100 price point so pleasantly surprised there were some older wines that showed well!

@IlkkaL definitely prefer the wines I purchase myself mostly unless it is with groups that I am familiar with. Definitely wouldn’t touch some of these producers with a barge pole!

@Mike_Grammer to be fair the only thing I had to guess was burgundy or Barolo :sweat_smile: what was wrong with the Audoin?

@John_Morris same experience with Laurent on the whole so I don’t buy any with my own money, but have friends who are big fans.

1 Like