TNS; Affordable white Burgundy

Just wanted to balance all these threads bemoaning the price of Burgundy. I have been on a bit of a tear recently to identify some well priced and readily available whites that can be popped at any time.
I would say that across the board, the standard has been pretty high and there’s some real QPR to be found. Wines that would match or better similarly priced Chardonnays from anywhere in the world.

2020 Joseph Drouhin Macon Villages
This is quite rich, with pear and white stone fruits, grilled nuts, and a hint of toast. Good depth and a creamy, but nicely energetic mineral finish.

2021 Olivier Merlin Macon ‘La Roche Vineuse’
Probably my favourite of the wines. Delicious white stone fruit primaries with good cut and dimension. Refreshing, spice laden finish. My first encounter with this producer and I am keen to further investigate.

2021 Domaine Faiveley Mercurey Blanc
This was richer, more old school, a bit less cut, medium to full bodied with pears, white flowers and a coarser finish.

2021 Armand Heitz Bourgogne Blanc
This is a bit funkier and more worked, with a more savoury aroma. However on the palate it plays with a straighter bat with pretty orchard flowers and citrics and a dry, saline finish. Interesting wine.

5 Likes

What do people think of Jadot Pouilly Fuisse? I had a 2018 of that the other day that was quite good (surprisingly crisp, citric, and pure for as 2018). About $35

Must track some down. Haven’t bought Jadot whites for a long time.

1 Like

Had a 2021 Domaines Leflaive Pouilly-Fuissé last night. An elegant and fine nose of smoky mineral, white flowers and lemon. The palate is relatively compact and intense. There’s a big squeeze of citrus and a thread of gentle spice. It has good definition and cut and is both engaging and persistent.

2 Likes

Lafon’s Vire Clesse offering is pretty widely available, and very well made. At about $30-40 I highly recommend.

5 Likes

In the US I don’t think you can find this for less than $100. I’m not quite sure I’d call that “affordable white Burgundy” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Compared to their Puligny wines it is affordable.

3 Likes

The lowest price in the U.S. for the Lafon Vire Clesse is $39.98. It reminded me a lot of Walter Scott’s La Combe Verte, which isn’t surprising given Ken once worked with Lafon.

I just checked wine searcher and in the US retails for the four wines I reviewed are roughly $15, $23, $30 and $25. For me firmly in cellar defender territory.

3 Likes

My local shop, Vin, has the 2016s for $25. I already bought some, but may pick up more.

Walter Scott LCV Chardonnay was a case buy for me this year. It has basically become my house wine. I agree there’s a lot of similarity there.

2 Likes

I am sitting having a glass of Heretiers du Comtes Lafon - Macon Villages, and it’s a very nice QPR ratio. I’m not going to list up a full tasting note right now, but let’s just say it’s well citrusy, well oaky, well mineraly etc. Not expecting more and I’m happy with what it delivers.

2 Likes

just checked wine searcher and in the US retails for the four wines I reviewed are roughly $15, $23, $30 and $25. For me firmly in cellar defender territory

I checked the prices where you live kent and LEAS, Giaconda, Savaterre, Mchenry Honen Burnside, Sorrenberg take a big steaming dump on all these wines for the same moneyISH, but yes they arent burgundy…

1 Like

This producer was a recent discovery and a pleasant surprise when we attended La Paulee in NYC last March. Their 2020s are fire. I would confidently put their 1er Crus up against just about any 1er (and some GCs!) from the Cote d’Or in a blind tasting.

1 Like

LEAS, Giaconda twice the price of these Jimmy and yes better wines. I have had less luck with Savaterre and Sorrenberg.

1 Like

Yes my comment was slightly tounge in cheek, there is some decent blanc available but the tax in oz kills the value, so inevitably its hard to move away from local producers. …unless your jeremy of course :wink:

Interesting about your comments on Sorrenberg and Savaterre.

1 Like

Clos des Rocs Chantone and Monopole from Pouilly-Loche are solid quality and priced well within reach of normal folks.

4 Likes

Love the wines from Moreau-Naudet and their villages Chablis can be a great value. Still enjoying the 2015.

5 Likes

Thanks for the fine notes Kent.

I have fallen off looking a bit as I have recently been spoiled with the daily drinker entry level Chards from Oregon producers Goodfellow, Walter Scott (and now a new one for me-Violin), so I have become lazy looking to Burgundy for affordable Chardonnay. You make a great point. If you look smartly, there is still value in Burgundy, especially when you start getting outside the Cote d’Or.

If you liked the Merlin, I would consider trying a bottle of the Sur la Roche. IMO a delicious bottle and even more so considering the price. It is a more serious wine and different in purpose, but for me, if I am looking for that, it is worth the uncharge from the Vineuse.

Thanks again!

Thanks Todd, looks like the Sur La Roche is Pouilly-Fuisse, My importer only has the AC Pouilly and the PF Les Chevrieres at this stage, which I have ordered.

Good call on the Oregon Chardonnays, I’ve been doing the same. I’m buying the same three producers (love Will’s Violin Chardonnays too), plus Morgen Long. If you haven’t checked out Seth’s Chardonnays yet, you totally should.