TNs: A Trio of Mid-90s Auslese: '94 Ludes, '95 Zilliken, '97 Muller Catoir

Got a group of Berserkers together for a long overdue outing for dumplings and more at Northern China Eatery on Buford Highway. We had some very good wines. Too many to note as the wines were flying and piles of dumplings kept coming from the kitchen. I tracked the first few Rieslings before falling off. We also had bubbles from Renardat Fache (always joy in a glass, to steal Mike’s phrase) as well as some other nice Rieslings and a '76! Prince Poniatworski Aigle Blanc that was interesting in a time-capsule kind of way. A good night with a good crew.

Posted from CellarTracker

6 Likes

I loved how each wine shined in a different way. With the petrol and verve on the Ludes, I never would have guessed it was the oldest of the three, the HGS MC offered richness and intensity, and the Zillikin tread a middle ground. When a 2009 Schaefer GH (I didn’t catch the prädikat) gets lost in the shuffle, you know it’s a good night! And you didn’t even mention your Gut Oggau, probably the most Instagrammable wine of the night.

I was reminded when I actually felt pretty good this morning that if you have to drink too many wines, off-dry Germans are the way to go. It was a great night and I look forward to the next one.

1 Like

I opened that Ludes for a blind group a few weeks ago, and it was singing. Lots of stone fruit like white peach the first day veering to mango by the third day open.

3 Likes

My biggest regret of my purchases last year is not getting many more bottles of that 1994 Hermann Ludes Klüsserather Bruderschaft Auslese than the paltry 4-pack I bought.

2 Likes

Ha! yes to all of this.

Yep. Yep. Yep.

nice notes. Sounds like a great time!

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

Were these 750s or 375s?

All 750s!

1 Like

The leftover Müller-Catoir (though there wasn’t a lot) went great with some (allegedly) hot and ranch chicken wings tonight. It was my last 750 ml of MC from the HGS era, but at least I have a smattering of 375 ml bottles.

1 Like

Great tasting, notes and food pairing! Thanks for posting. The 21 Ludes are insanely great but I don’t think they made an Auslese and have only one Spatlese.

In the top 5 German producers thread, a number of people mentioned they weren’t buying MC anymore. Can someone fill me in on why?

1 Like

Thanks, Robert! Looking forward to the '21 Ludes- And #rieslingstudyATL - c’mon!

Two. Speyer and Ritsch.

1 Like

Two Auslese or two Spat?

Spat. Zero Auslese. That I know of.

1 Like

Conventional wisdom is that the estate’s wines lost at least some of their luster after Hans-Günter Schwartz’s retirement in 2001. I’ve had few wines since then so I can’t personally weigh in on the accuracy of the conventional wisdom.

1 Like