TNs: 90 Pol Roger, 08 Pierre Morey Tessons, 98 Magdelaine, 04 Bodegas Arzuaga

• 1990 Pol Roger Champagne Blanc de Chardonnay - France, Champagne (4/7/2021)
    Sherry note on the nose at first that turned into a more pleasant honey one with time. First time having a champagne with age, rich in texture and oxidative notes on the palate but without much complexity for me. I think I prefer champagnes on the younger side that have more vivacity.
  • 2008 Pierre Morey Meursault Les Tessons - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
    No premox which was a relief, but showing some secondary character. Slightly strange butterscotch, popcorn smell at first. Well-developed with an unctuous texture, a little too round and fat for me though and lacking tension. Good wine but a disappointment since I love this producer normally.
  • 1998 Château Magdelaine - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Should have known better, Magdelaine from such a good vintage needs more time. A floral and elegant nose but on the palate it was rather muted even though it showed glimpses of its power. Had a savoury quality that gave way to a slightly bitter finish. This wine is no fun at the moment.
  • 2004 Bodegas Arzuaga Navarro Ribera del Duero Reserva - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero
    Not a region that I am familiar with, this was a modern wine that did not come across as spoofy. A Bordeaux nose of tobacco and cassis, but on the palate it was a little sweet to be one. A touch of VA on the nose that gave it good lift, smelled like a Burgundy in a Zalto Burg funnily enough. Better with air as the purple fruit became more expressive. I don’t usually like the term full-bodied but it’s a good descriptor for this wine.
  • 2010 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Auslese Lange Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    I have the worst luck with German Rieslings, every 1 in 3 bottles is corked for me. Sweetness covered the cork taint so some people still enjoyed this. NR (flawed)

1998 Right Bank Bordeaux. They just haven’t come around, yet, to my taste.

But, I’d consider myself fortunate if I have many 1998 Magdelaine. It’s bound to be special when the time comes…

My last bottle was a quite open and utterly sublime, and I went out and bought several cases. But one last year was as described.

Thanks for your inputs Ramon and Mark, I only have one left so I’ll err on the side of caution and wait a few more years!

One solitary, lonely bottle for me, too. Oh well, will see how it lasts.