TNs: 2017 Faiveley Chambolle 1er tasting

Other than the Amoureuses which they ran out of the 2017…

FAIVELEY CHAMBOLLE 1ER TASTING BY GRAFT8 - (12/5/2022)

Faiveley Chambolle 1er at Graft8, absolutely superb value for S$50. All of them were quite quintessentially Chambolle and very enjoyable. The wines were more restrained than the 2014 Fuees that I had last month which was very candied and new-world like - this corroborated with some people who have said that Faiveley have achieved a good balance between approachability and restraint from 2016 onwards. Based on this showing, I am definitely a fan.

• 2017 Faiveley Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    Négoce. Clearly the weakest of the four Chambolle 1ers with the palate being a little dilute. Easy-drinking and inoffensive but definitely worth paying the premium for the other 1ers. (89 pts.)
  • 2017 Faiveley Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    A step-up for the intensity on nose and palate, plenty of red-fruited notes that verged the closest to blue among the four wines. A little firmer in structure, and more tannic bite on the finish than the others. My second favourite. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Faiveley Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru La Combe d’Orveau - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    Agree with the previous taster that this had a lot of oak, but didn’t find this distracting and in fact contributed to the very sensual spicy nose. There was some argument over whether this spice came from the oak use or fruit but unfortunately I am not well-versed enough to tell. Lightest and most ethereal of the wines tonight, the wine seemed to float seamlessly to a wonderfully persistent finish. Love wines such as this without any sharp edges, best wine of the flight by a margin. (94 pts.)
  • 2018 Faiveley Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    Negoce (wonder who they get their fruit from). This was an absolutely fantastic effort for the vintage, by far the most elegant 2018 that I have had so far. A little subdued next to the Combe d’Orveau but this clearly had more power, just that it was held in reserve today. (91 pts.)

1 Like

Cool tasting and nice comparative. I buy the Fuees fairly regularly but don’t think we have been offered Combe d’Orveau and Amoreises locally.

1 Like