TNs: '11 Rodet Mercurey & '11 Langoureau 1er En Remilly

Man, it’s been awhile since I posted any notes.

If the 2011 Antonin Rodet “Chateau de Mercey” Mercurey isn’t a textbook Bourgogne rouge, I don’t know what is. The color is 100% see-thru Pinot. This is lean in weight and tannins, with a mix of dark cherries, tart red berries, and a touch of orange rind. There’s also some nice floral action with a touch of spice. Although the finish is rather short, this is a lean and refreshing entry-level Pinot that speaks of elegance and terroir. 90 pts.

The 2011 Sylvain Langoureau Saint-Aubin 1er Cru “En Remilly” has officially cemented my belief that SA is the ultimate value appellation for those seeking serious Chardonnay. This is electric juice with real weight. Think oily peach and pear fruit with lemon rind and a waxy undertone. This is the epitome of elegance and power at the 1er level. 91+ pts.

I was very impressed by both bottles and will be keeping an eye out for both producers going forward. As for food, the Rodet paired well with Palif rice, Chickpeas, and Collards, while the Langoureau paired well with snow crab and garlic butter.

flirtysmile

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg