TNs: 08 Sauzet Bourgogne and 08 Lucia Susan's Hill

I enjoy buying the bourgogne wines as they offer something of the french expression without hammering my wallet. I bought several of the Sauzet on release, enjoying them typically with my wife over dunner for two, which was the setting for this bottle. The Lucia has been a perennial favorite of mine and this 2007 really showed me something, more beyond just fruit and color but some structure, too. In sum, both showed really well, thanks for reading.

• 2008 Lucia Syrah Susan’s Hill - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (12/25/2011)
    This drank great on XMAS eve. Aside from a large glass I shared with the chef, I admittedly drank the whole damn bottle. Kind of rare for me but was in the XMAS eve spirit, along with the two desserts I ordered, too. Memorable meal with my wife and a great dinner. Back to the wine, really drank excellent, although I have to say I enjoyed and found more structure this time than the bottle a year ago. Quite dark, with lovely aromatics of smoke, flower, lavender and some spice. The core of the fruit is dark with blackberry and black raspberry and then the SLH citrusy acid kicks in, along with some whole cluster notes that adds a savory, tapenade like feel. Spicy, long finish. This paired well with the red sauce pasta, kalamata, mushroom and italian sausage dish that my wife ordered, although was not bad with my traditionally made pipian chicken and corn risotto. This wine will have several years ahead of it, zesty and yet packed with fruit. Excellent.
  • 2008 Etienne Sauzet Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (12/22/2011)
    This drinks fine at room temp but I liked the wine better with a bit of a chill. It crispens it up, to go along with the clean flavors of green apple, some underripe banana, mineral and when closer to room, some pie crust. I had some of this remaining at the end of the meal, and it went interestingly well with the apple pie and vanilla ice cream. Still have yet to drink a bad 2008 Sauzet.

Posted from CellarTracker

Forgot the photos!