TN's: 06 Pegau Reserve, 05 Saxum JB 44, 94 ZH VT PG Rotenberg and a nice Gruener V

2007 Weingut Markus Huber Grüner Veltliner Traisental DAC Reserve Berg - Austria, Niederösterreich, Traisental (11/27/2009)

Initially I think the wine was served a little too cold as it had a somewhat oaky profile, not strong mind you, but just a slight suggestion of butter and spice. As it warmed, the oak profile became more of an intriguing tobacco leaf quality, but always carried a terrific mineral cut. Quite dry on the palate but voluptuous, but high toned GV had plenty of floral and mineral nuances, a slight suggestion of quinine and roasted nuts on the medium plus finish. Interesting wine, I’d love to see how this develops with a few years of cellar time. (91 pts.)

2006 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/27/2009)

Slow o’d for 20 hrs or so. The first whiff indicated we had a brett free Pegau on our hands, as subtle but of so beautiful aromas of plum and spices escaped from the bottle. My experience last night will echo the majority of notes already written on this wine: this is a subtle, classic, easy going vintage for Pegau, but in no shape or form did I find it thin or lacking in any capacity. The feminine counterpart to the muscular 04 version if you will. The classic, grenache red strawberry fruit was matched blow for blow with equal parts of garrigue and underbrush with a delivery that is comprised of both poise and confidence. I also agree that this won’t translate into old bones by the domains standard, but certainly should fully blossom in the next 5 years or so. (93 pts.)

2005 Saxum 44 Month Barrel Age James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (11/27/2009)

Popped and poured. Given the extended barrel aging, I expected this to carry a strong wood profile, but this simply was not the case. The nose carried a strong attack of crushed blackberries and violets, with further complexity coming from the spice jar section of the kitchen, All Spice, cinnamon, and even a touch of cloves, just to name a few. Big yes, but balanced to the hilt, this was surprisingly suave and easy to drink. Tannins are completely buried at this point under the weight of the raw materials above, but never for a second does this loose its focus or concentration. Very long on the finish, I bet this would shine even a little brighter with just a year or two of rest. Superb wine, thanks for sharing this Jared. (95 pts.)

1994 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Rotenberg Vendange Tardive - France, Alsace, Wintzenheim, Alsace AOC (11/27/2009)

This was really strong showing for a vaulted 94 ZH VT selection, and was simply firing on a cylinders. The multifaceted nose displays plenty of botrytis goodies such as honey, cloves, but also stays true to its varietal make up, as it retained a strong musky quality that I exclusively associate with pinot gris. The palate echoes the flavors on the nose, but with extraordinary concentration and precision with the added touch of purees of stone fruits. Swirling around in this mix are pockets of supporting acidity, that provide a welcome reprieve from the onslaught of the wines force and power. Endless finish. Easily a decade or two ahead of this. (96 pts.)