TN: You win some, you lose some

Coming off the heals of an amazing gathering last week with 20+ California Cabernet, SQN and a couple great dessert wines, I suppose it was only a matter of time before the Wine Gods decided that I too was due for a letdown. Hopefully I hit bottom last night…

An otherwise fun Labor Day weekend gathering with a couple of other families…smoked chicken, Asian slaw, deviled eggs, red potatoes, corn, brownies and ice cream…food was amazing. No other serious wine drinkers…figured I would bring a couple of typical crowdpleasers…oh well…

• 2005 Robert Biale Zinfandel Old Crane Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (8/31/2014)
    Opened four hours in advance…way past its prime…borderline pruney and port-like…perhaps some dark fruit, but no other semblance of Zinfandel. Was a big fan of Biale several years ago, but have moved on to Carlisle…have yet to be disappointed and less expensive. (82 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2009 Quilceda Creek Red Wine Columbia Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (8/31/2014)
    Popped and poured…definitely more giving and fruit forward than the Biale wine, but lackluster nose compared to other Quilceda Reds…my first try of the 2009…worthy of a decant to see if this has more potential. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Aldo’s has been my favorite Biale for a long time now. 07 Old Crane was a great Zin.

Decided to open a 2007 Old Crane Monday night for BBQ with neighbors. Showed elderly, what was left was badly oxidized the next AM.