TN: Walter Scott 2021 Vintage Zoom Tasting

WALTER SCOTT 2021 VINTAGE ZOOM TASTING - (3/5/2023)

We recently got off the wait list for Walter Scott and after a couple years of enjoying some of their wines we had access to while wait listed, my wife and I jumped at the chance to participate in the winery’s zoom tasting from the comforts of home with our infant supervising the affair. The tasting kit had 4 of each of their Pinot and Chardonnay, and we were floored by the quality of everything. All wines were shipped in small 3.5 oz bottles which was perfect for the event. Reds were chilled for 30 minutes in the fridge, whites were taken out of the fridge for over an hour before drinking. While I had expected us to enjoy the pinots more given our preference for red wine, the chardonnays were the stars of the night. Highly recommend all of these wines to everyone.

Pinot Noir

• 2021 Walter Scott Pinot Noir Freedom Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Aromas of dark fruit with pronounced blueberry notes. Tasted much more of raspberry and cranberry. Very tart as well and high acid - this would have been excellent with food. The wine had an appealing freshness but it was wound very tight - I think it would have benefitted from a little air prior to drinking. Long finish. If I was having more I would definitely decant beforehand. (92 points)
  • 2021 Walter Scott Pinot Noir Sojeau Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills
    Very strong nose and on the palate this wine was “bigger” than the other WS pinots with a fuller and rounder mouthfeel. Crunchy and zingy red fruit flavors with a hint of vanilla. This struck me as closer to some of the big pinots I’ve had from Sonoma, but with more nuance and finesse. Extremely smooth and well integrated. Unlike the other WS pinots we tasted, this had some noticeable tannin. Medium acid. The Mrs. and I both agreed this would also be great with food. (94 points)
  • 2021 Walter Scott Pinot Noir Koosah Farm - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills
    Enveloping aroma with a pronounced blueberry scent. We both really enjoyed this wine. This was more fruit-forward than the other WS pinots in the tasting, though it still remained soft and nuanced. Lots of blueberry and fresh cherry flavors. Medium acid and an extremely long finish. Will definitely seek some more out. (95 points)
  • 2021 Walter Scott Pinot Noir X-Novo Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills
    This wine was more closed off initially, but after about 30 minutes in the glass this was spectacular. Nose was initially muted but after it opened it had a floral bouquet. Extremely smooth and integrated with red fruit intertwined seamlessly with medium acid and an extremely long finish. The Mrs. described it as feminine. This was fantastic and our favorite of the WS pinots in the tasting. Definitely give it some air before enjoying. (96 points)

Chardonnay

• 2021 Walter Scott Chardonnay Freedom Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    This Chardonnay stood out from the others in the tasting and was delicious. Crisp nose and flavors of butterscotch, citrus and tropical fruit. It had an integrated minerality that seemed to border on effervescence, like just a touch more would have resulted in bubbles somehow. The Mrs. said the minerality reminded her of a “freshly watered gold course.” Round mouthfeel and a long finish. (95 points)
  • 2021 Walter Scott Chardonnay Koosah Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Aromas of tropical fruit. Tasted of apple and pear, with integrated oak (which we didn’t get in any of the other WS chards in the tasting). This wine had a pronounced crispness and the minerality was seamlessly integrated. Very long finish. (95 points)
  • 2021 Walter Scott Chardonnay X-Novo Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills
    My WOTN. Green apple and citrus with a crisp, round taste. Extremely nuanced and soft, with sauvignon blanc-like qualities. Like the Freedom Hill, seemed to almost border on bubbles. The Mrs. didn’t appreciate my freshly cut garden-hose analogy. Only got better with time in the glass and had a finish that lasted forever. I could drink this everyday. (96 points)
  • 2021 Walter Scott Chardonnay Justice Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills
    My wife’s WOTN, my second place. This Chardonnay had a savory quality that we didn’t find in the other WS chards. The Mrs. described it as a “sweet yeast” flavor like a King’s Hawaiian roll. Other flavors of citrus, apple and a minerality akin to wet rocks. Balanced acidity and a heft we didn’t get in the other Chardonnays - and a very interesting juxtaposition to the X-Novo. Very long finish and extremely enjoyable. Would be fantastic with food. (96 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

9 Likes

Thanks for the notes. I bought a tasting kit but was working during the zoom. I am sure it was a great time!

The Zooms were recorded and a link will be available if you want to hear Ken’s commentary.

1 Like

Great notes! Went overboard for this round, but based on your notes, made a lot of good decisions! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Yeah they recorded it - see below:

https://vimeo.com/user129150527

Best tasting ever! While the pinots were delicious, the chardonnays were spectacular. Ken and Erica were splendid hosts and the background info was well thought out and informative. Great wine is made in the vineyard, but it’s easier said than done. They not only showed the vineyards, but they brought the collaboration of mentors, growers, and others together for the finished product. They are dedicated to creating the best wine capable from their carefully chosen terroir. Exciting times in Oregon!

3 Likes

I tasted through the pinots and found them rather tight and a bit austere at first, and in need of some time. I think there is a good bit of stuffing there for X Novo and Sojeau, which I found structured but with some nice Oregon elegance, which I preferred a bit more than Koosah which seemed more of a fruit driven sweet black cherry and sassafrass profile.

While I think Walter Scott is kicking out nice Pinots, probably best with some age, I think their whites are among the best in the United States. X Novo is stunning, Freedom Hill is just murderous, and Sojeau was good as well. Koosah didn’t hit with me the same, but that’s stylistic preference I think. The flinty smokey reduction, followed by unbuttered popcorn, then florals, vibrant fruit, and great cut and minerality on X Novo and similarly Freedom Hill just rock my world.

5 Likes

Well the timing on this couldn’t be more perfect with the Walter Scott 2021 release in my inbox just now lol

1 Like

For my palate, the X-Novo Chardonnay was just about as perfect as you could want in a Chardonnay. I thought all the chardonnays were superb, but the X-Novo was head and shoulders better. For me, if the other chardonnays were in the mid-90s, then the X-Novo is a 98.

1 Like

Totally agree with your assessment except I was intrigued by the Koosah chard. So much lime and minerality. It was my surprise second after the x-novo. Agree they are the best USA chardonnays I have had.

1 Like

I agree with all the positive accolades above. Their wines are stunning. And they could not have been more friendly during our visit last year. My wife and I enjoyed this 2019 X Novo last weekend in Aspen. So freaking good with the tasting menu.

1 Like

xnovo sold out O_O congrats @Erica_Landon !!

2 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

I found out the hard way! I had my cart lined up and had to get on a work meeting, came back to find it sold out… lesson learned!

1 Like

Not surprised it sold out so quickly. What a stunning wine!

2 Likes

We all loved the thought and attention to detail put into the tasting, and of course the wines as well. Two biggest surprises for me were the Koosah bottlings, the florals really did it for me.
Got quite a large order in prior to the tasting, but went back just now to buy more of those two and they’re both gone, along with quite a few others. Very much well-deserved selling out so quickly!

2 Likes

really liked the two- great additions to the lineup, really high energy wines

FYI, for those who may have missed out, Avalon Wine in Portland has the Koosah and X-Novo chardonnay’s in stock (or did when I ordered a mixed case).

2 Likes

Thanks for this tip. I missed the chance to order these direct so it was great to round out my order with additions from Avalon.