TN: Violin Pinot Noir, Oregon - Berserker Day Wines

2017 Violin Pinot Noir, Polk County Cuvee, Eola Amity Hills, Oregon
Conifer, saddle soap, loam and soy aromas. Judicious barrel application. Tangy black cherry and briar fruit up front with mild baking spice. Moderate length. Balanced acidity. Fine tannins with some pleasing bitterness. Touch of warmth but never overt. This is very fine mid-level Oregon Pinot! Lots in common with Bethel Heights and Walter Scott. Quaffable. Kudos Will Hamilton!

2016 Violin Pinot Noir, Eola-Amity Hills, Oregon
Similar nose with some briar fruit jam. Neutral, almost invisible wood. Tart predominantly red fruit with woodsy mushrooms. Nice persistence. Tannins are a bit grippier with slightly more bitterness, compared to the 2017. Subtle non-intrusive warmth. Very pleasing restraint considering the warm vintage.

Both of these Pinots are accessible and reveal the winemaker’s style. Deceptively drinkable. I’m batting around 60/40 with recent Pinot purchases. These are both hits.

RT

Thanks for the note.

Really looking to try this. My Berserker Day order was successfully delivered to my offsite storage, but they’re closed to the public and seem to be running with a skeleton staff of one to receive deliveries.

Robert

Didn’t do a note yet, but the 2016 was pleasantly restrained and bright for the warm vintage. Very promising winemaking and a happy discovery.

RT

I also bought a Berserker 6-pack and am looking forward to trying one soon! [cheers.gif]

Updated to include TNs for both Berserkerday 2016 and 2017 Violin Pinots.

RT

Thanks for the notes and kind words Rich. I think these are both good examples of my style from two fairly different vintages. Looking for transparency in my use of oak–the '16 came from four barrels, one was new and three were “impactful” used, (also one of the reasons I like at least 14-15 month barrel elevage on lees). I am so pleased to see the note on quaffability. I use this term often with my customers and it is one of my goals for wines I make and wines I drink. Well balanced Pinot noir at every level of age can still be a delight to drink. I sometimes call this wine “crisp”, or as having “snap” (both I think are a part of the quaffable feel I try to describe). Ditto also on the mushrooms comment–16 has more than other vintages for the grey label (some like it some less so). I broadly describe this wine as having a “funkier” edge (certainly some bright fresh fruit there too). We will see whether the 17 develops in similar ways aromatically. The inclusion of Justice Vineyard in the 17 seems to have given it a bit more drive and firmness (but I think this is where 16 and 17 diverge a bit also).

Hope you are getting along in good spirits and health as we navigate to the next phase!

Cheers and thank you again for the support!

Will

Your welcome Will. Very nice work. I enjoy the style. Hope more Berserkers give Violin a try.

RT

Richard, I agree with you that Violin needs more attention as a great tiny winery that needs to survive the current chaos. I must have purchased the same Berserker package that you did. It sounds like they are drink now or hold for a few years? I have only had the 2017 WV PN which was really delicious and great QPR. I was hoping to visit Will this April. When he shipped my Berserker six pack, I had him add three of the 18 WV PN and three Chard. I am in no hurry to crack either of those.

Delicious wines from one of the nicest guys in the Valley!

Yes Chris, drink or hold. I’m putting a couple bottles away for a few years. With his Evening Land and Walter Scott experience, it’s very much worth keeping an eye on Will’s Chards. Strong potential.

RT