TN: Two delicious Burgundies (2012 Boillot, 2002 Mugneret-Gibourg)

Shared two lovely Burgundies with Brian Marshall - thanks for the invite!

2012 Henri Boillot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Mouchère - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (7/14/2016)
This was a very pretty, fresh and bright white Burgundy, focused on flint, citrus and steely minerals. The oak was well tamed and allowed the fruit and mineral aspects of the wine to really shine. Very refreshing and hard to put down the glass. Except…

2002 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Feusselottes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (7/14/2016)
This was caught at a perfect moment. It changed so many times over the few hours I gave it that I lost track. It started with the impression of warm cinnamon, an incredibly comforting aromatic. Over a few hours it went through aromas of pine, forest floor, mint, flowers and earth in various combinations - it never sat still. Later on I thought about it, and I had never focused on fruit. It had fruit, but it was never the dominant player. There was always so much else going on that I never go to the red fruit/black fruit thing. I just kept inhaling this gorgeous perfume. What a wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

great notes on two fantastic 1ers that punch wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy above their weight/price point.

What Fu said.
Boillot Mouchere is my favorite white Burg buy these days when I’m willing to spend in the 3-digit zone.
It’s just a great wine that usually delivers. Except…

Thanks David, your notes are right in line with mine.The Boillot was very good, but the the Mugneret was in another league.