TN: Two Carlisle Zins '00...(short/boring)

Tried these two over the weekend:

1. Carlisle Zin DryCreekVlly (16.4%; 225 cs) SantaRosa 2000: Dark color w/ slight bricking; strong raspberry/blackberry/Zin/fairly spicy rather dusty/OV bit licorice/pungent some toasty/smokey/oak slight fumey/alcoholic rather ripe nose; soft bit hot/alcoholic rather dusty/OV strong raspberry/blackberry/Zin/spicy bit overripe light toasty/smokey/oak flavor w/ light smooth/bit drying tannins; very long bit overripe/fumey/alcoholic strong raspberry/blackberry/spicy Zin light smokey/oak some dusty/OV finish w/ light smooth tannins; still plenty of classic DCV Zin fruit but the alcohol is starting to come to the forefront; drink up.

1. Carlisle Zin GumTreeRanch/RRV (15.7%; + PetiteSirah/AlicanteBouchet; 125 cs) 2000: Dark color w/ light bricking; some menthol/eucalyptus fairly strong blackberry/Zin/spicy rather earthy/dusty/OV slight hot/fumey/alcoholic bit overripe some complex nose; soft slightly overripe/fumey/alcoholic bit menthol/minty/eucalyptus rather ripe/blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/spicy bit earthy/dusty light toasty/oak flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long slightly eucalyptus/minty/menthol rather strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/spicy some dusty/OV bit fumey/overripe/alcoholic light toasty/oak finish w/ light gentle tannins; rather low-key eucalyptus/minty character; still plenty of ripe fruit but alcohol becoming dominant.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Both of these wines would have been much better some 4-6 yrs ago I suspect. The overripe/alcoholic character is becoming a bit dominant now. The next day, at a warmer temp, the alcohol & overripe character was quite pronounced.
    The GumTree used to be dominated by the eucalyptus character. That character has pretty much receeded into the background.
    Both of these wines were a pleasure to drink, but became a bit tiring on the palate after the 8’th or 9’th glass.
    Tom

Thanks for the notes Tom. The 01 Gumtree ranch was one of my favorite Carlisle zins ever. Full of all kinds of eucalyptus goodness about 4 or 5 years ago.

Just a damn shame about that vineyard.

Cool. What temp did you serve this at?

“became a bit tiring on the palate after the 8’th or 9’th glass.” LOL. Awesome.

I started them around 60F or so. They then slowly heated up to upper 60’s, where the alcohol became obvious.
Tom

One of the greats! Alas mine are long gone.

Gum Tree Ranch is a late, great classic!