TN: Two 2009 Produttori Riservas

TWO 2009 PRODUTTORI RISERVAS

• 2009 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    A bouquet of raspberries, cherries, new leather, creosote and a hint of black pepper. In the mouth, relatively approachable, as you’d expect from a 2009, but still at least three to five years from its drinking plateau, I’d say. Chewy, tactile tannins but a fine and pure Barbaresco. It just needs a bit of time for those tannins to soften and mellow. Sour black cherries, tar, tea leaves, soil, olive tapenade, soy and a backbone of steely minerals. Good acidity, concentration and length. A quality, young Barbaresco Riserva. (93 pts.)
  • 2009 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Ovello - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    A nose of warm earth, tobacco, dry underbrush, bonfire and largely red fruit. On palate, compared with the Asili, more umami, earthy and tarry wirth black cherries, blackberries and espresso. Drunk over three nights, the balsamico element really came to the fore. A similar acidic and tannic structure to the Asili, which I preferred both now and for the longer term (I’d guess). Decent length. Drinkable now but more closed than the Asili. Ideally, give it 5+ years. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Howard. Always good to have data points.

Do you find the 2009s to offer anything unique compared to the 2007s? I pretty much passed on 2009, figuring there was no need for a duplicate.

David, probably nothing major. I’d put 2007 overall ahead of 2009 as a vintage and even put 2011 a little ahead of 2009, as a generalisation.

Having said that IMO you don’t regret buying Produttori Riservas from any vintage. Produttori knows their vineyards and Cru very well and if they decide to do Riservas they are almost always of high quality and priced well for that quality. Buying a vintage like 2009 (or 2007) gives you something to drink while your 2008s come around … And even supposedly earlier drinking vintages like 2009 or 2007 will probably surprise on their longevity …

I got 6 of the 09 PdB Rabaja for $38 not too long ago (prearrival from TCWC). Me happy now, thanks Howard.