TN: Texier CdR Brezeme '00...(short/boring)

Susan & I tried this for din-din tonight:

1. EricTexier CdR Brezeme (VieillesVignes; 12.5%; NonFiltre) 2000: Med.dark color; beautiful/complex NRhone/roasted/espresso/smokey dusty/old vines some blackberry/Syrah/licorice/pungent nose; bracingly tart complex/NRhone/roasted/espresso/mocha slight earthy/dusty/old vines light licorice/blackberry/Syrah flavor; very long very tart roasted/espresso/pungent/smokey/mocha dusty/old vines some hard/tannic finish; a beautiful NorthernRhone Syrah w/ loads of roasted character and a teeth-chattering acidity. $27.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. When I first had this wine, it had a schreechy acidity to it, but I felt it would really evolve into something special. It has, indeed. Though the acidity is still pretty high and not likely to subside, it has developed a beautiful NorthernRhone character that you seldom find in a CdR. With Susan’s HoMade tamales, the acidity was not as hurtey. It’s the old/classic EdmundsStJohn lament…“I shoulda bought more”.
    Tom

Tom, is Texier’s Brézème 100% Syrah? TIA. Bob

Bob,
My recollect is that it’s 100% Syrah and from the NorthernRhone…but outside the standard AC’s.
Had his '01 Brezeme Roussanne the other day as well. Terrific stuff. He’s one of the best.
Tom

I purchased 6 bottles of the Texier 2000 Brezeme several years ago. The first was undrinkable because of the searing acidity. I opened a second bottle two years ago and let it breath for at least 24 hours. The acidity was equally as bad a s the first bottle. I am not convinced it will ever come around but intend to try a third bottle this week. I will let you know the results.

Bob,
My recollect is that it’s 100% Syrah and from the NorthernRhone…but outside the standard AC’s.
Had his '01 Brezeme Roussanne the other day as well. Terrific stuff. He’s one of the best.
Tom

Reading from the holy book of Livingstone-Learmonth the implication is that all quality growers in Brezeme use syrah: “‘The Grenache doesn’t work well here - some of the Co-operateurs planted it, but it doesn’t ripen well every year’ - J-M Lombard”.
When discussing Texier he discusses his 100% Roussanne at length (sounds good Tom!) but never about the composition of the red wines.

Texier’s website makes clear that his red Brézème is 100% Syrah - from 10-15 year-old vines for the regular bottling, 60-100 year-old vines for the VV Domaine de Pergault.

http://www.eric-texier.com/en/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;