TN: Swan 1994 Frati Ranch Zinfandel

Ex WineBid. This is well into the claret phase of the Zin to claret pipeline. In a good way!

On the nose, fully tertiary but intense, with leather, underbrush, balsamic, library books, bit of tomato stem/green pepper, cherries.

On the palate, mouthwatering intense acidity, residual soft tannins, lonnng finish, bit of alcohol heat, red fruited cherry/strawberry, damp earth.

First old Swan wine, lives up to the hype.

9 Likes

Swan Zins age so gracefully!

2 Likes

Great stuff, Justin. Thanks so much.

1 Like

I bought a couple of other old Swan zins around the time when this one was on Winebid (Ziegler, VHSR, Trenton Station). So far, all the bottles I’ve opened have been excellent. Similar experience with any old Swan pinot or cab too. This makes me want to open another one tomorrow!

2 Likes

Killer note! And look at that color! Gotta love it :cheers:

1 Like

Awesome, got 3 more early 90s zins and a ‘91 Pinot from that same cache on WB - good to hear others have performed!

1 Like

There was just a touch of bricking at the edge. It was tertiary, but oh so vigorously alive!

1 Like

Learned just tonight that “Frati Ranch” is the same vineyard as the current Dolinsek Ranch, much beloved by us and others as an early drinker from Bedrock. So I guess save a few Dolinseks in good years, folks!

2 Likes