TN: Some Top Shelf Burgs

SOME TOP SHELF BURGS - My home (3/10/2018)

I was talking with my friend Chris about getting some people together and drinking some top Burgundies. We decided to split the cost of a DRC Richebourg and then have everyone bring a bottle and make a tasting. I added a white and a port and 8 of us had a very nice Thursday on a snowy winter night in Pepper Pike OH.

While I have had my share of Burgundies over the years, it is not my favorite both in terms of the wines and certainly when cost is factored in. That said, it is nice to have some in the cellar. For most of the crowd this was there first time trying not only DRC but most of these producers. Nice to be able to share with friends and help them get some wines off of their bucket list, so to speak.
A White starter
I left it to the group to see if anyone wanted to bring a white, but when none were offered (only reds), I brought this one out. This is a Fass Selection wine and reasonably priced. It did the job and more.

• 2013 Maison Dampt Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Second time I have had this wine with similar results. While perhaps not a “classic” Chablis profile, it is excellent. Light golden in color. The nose has gun flint/smoke, lots of minerals, lemons and vanilla. On the palate, this has crisp bright acidity. Lemons with just a touch of apples, more red than green. Plenty of minerals. Some oak/vanilla. Long finish. There is a great vibrancy about this wine that takes it up a notch. It really wakes up the palate and provides substance. (94 pts.)

The Grand Cru Red flight.
Everyone pretty much handled their own bottle as far as decanting. The wines were served in three quick flights so after about an hour, we had all ten in front of us to compare. Breads, cheese, and other light food was served.

• 2012 Ernest Meurgey-Perron Charmes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
    This was a WTSO purchase for $50 or so. It was thrown in as an extra bottle. Opened at 10:00 am it was tart and with little fruit. With almost 10 hours of air, it opened and put on weight nicely. Certainly, there is some real value here for Grand Cru Burgundy. Light ruby in color, slightly flat. The nose is meaty with slight cherries. Also some tobacco which gets stronger with air. On the palate, medium tannins. Tart cherries. a bit of depth although the finish is a bit clipped. It would be nice to have a bit more fruit thought the meaty/tobacco notes make this very interesting. While this vineyard should be better, at least it is priced more reasonably. (90 pts.)
  • 2006 Domaine du Clos de Tart Clos de Tart - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de Tart Grand Cru
    The group preferred this to the 07 as did I but it was not unanimous. The bottle was opened about an hour prior to pouring and allowed to breathe. Dark purple in color. The nose has nice dark cherry fruit with slight baking spice and vanilla. With air a lovely earthy funk emerges to intertwine with the fruit. On the palate, there is a lovely texture. Sort of juicy but with volume. There is still a fair amount of tannins here. It is very tight but in the glass for a few hours it shows layers of fruit and earth. Very deep. Long finish. Nice balance. Needs a lot of air or better, another 5 to 10 in the cellar. (94 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine du Clos de Tart Clos de Tart - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de Tart Grand Cru
    Not quite is packed as the 2006 but to me, a bit more elegant. In the end, i preferred the 06 but just by a hair. Deep ruby/purple in color. The nose has dark cherries, spice and slight earthiness. With air some red cherries start to pop. On the palate, this seems much younger than the 06. Dark cherry fruit with slight tannins. Very pretty cherry fruit with some air. Also some nutmeg. A more feminine side to it if you will. Nice finish. Needs a decade of cellaring or lots of air. This got about an hour to breathe. (94 pts.)
  • 2010 Domaine Jean Grivot Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Ruby/deep purple in color. Pretty. On the palate, there is a nice spiciness to this wine with sandalwood, nutmeg and other baking spices. Also some nice cherry fruit with a bit of cherry powdered drink. On the palate, this has a tingling acidity and perhaps some trapped CO2 but that blows off quickly. Nice cherry fruit. Some depth. Light tannins but they are a bit drying. Nice finish. I would think this has some room to improve. It didn’t budge a whole lot in the glass. The bottle was opened an hour before the tasting. The group did seem to like this a bit more than I. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru
    This was opened about 30 minutes prior to the tasting and obviously is quite young. That said, it was outstanding with lots of upside. Purple/ruby in color. The nose is so pretty with a floral note (violets?) giving way to cherries and dark cherries. Very clean nose at the moment. On the palate, this is juicy tannins if that makes any sense. Really merging the tannins, the acid into a close to seamless texture. Lots of black cherry fruit that seems deep and bottomless if a bit impossible to gauge at the moment. Some red cherry fruit and spice emerge with air. Long finish. Probably should not open for 20 years, but it was a great experience right now. (94 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    Opened about an hour before the tasting and allowed to breathe. Purple/ruby in color. The nose is beautiful with a nice earthiness (mostly clean), baking spices, cherries (red and black). On the palate there is a juicy acidity that gives way to a lush texture and big fruit. Dark and red cherries but also some clay and spice show thru as well. Tight layers that unwind in the glass. Long finish. Certainly needs time or air, but drinking great right now. (95 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos St. Denis Grand Cru
    The two Dujacs were the top two wines and this just missed being WOTN. I suppose since I brought this it was my vote that made it #2. :slight_smile: No matter. A wow wine and the second best red Burg I have ever had. The bottle was opened 12 hours ahead of time and decanted for 4 hours before being decanted back into the bottle prior to serving. It certainly could have used more year or better yet cellaring, but was just lovely this night. Inky purple in color. The nose has spice, sandalwood, dark cherries, some red cherries and hints of earth. On the palate, the texture is simply wonderful. It coats the mouth as you have an internal struggle between swishing and swallowing the deliciousness. Plenty of fruit, black and red cherries with layers of spice and earth. Great balance. Long finish. Medium tannins. Just fantastic. (96 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
    Wow. The best red Burgundy I have ever had. Everything I could ask for except two things. 1) it still is very young and B) the price is way out of my range. That said, what a treat to drink this. The bottle was opened slightly before the tasting. Dark purple in color, ruby at the rim. The nose is tight at first with spice and a warm earthiness. With air the red cherries come out and also some black currants. On the palate, there is a nice meatiness to this along with dark cherries and sandalwood. It is deep with layers of fruit and earth. Truly as seamless a texture as I have ever experienced in a Pinot. Long, long finish. While this needs another decade to peak, it is amazing right now. Still, there is even more upside potential. WOTN. (97 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
    A bit disappointing which is perhaps due to its youth (or not). The group placed it about the same as I. Maybe it was hurt coming right after the pair of 05 Dujacs. Ruby in color. The nose is earthy and spicy with light cherries and strawberries. On the palate this is tight. The cherries and strawberries carry thru into tight layers. Nice finish. Pretty wine. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin Grand Cru
    Possibly the biggest disappointment of the night. The group had it in last (#10) place. I liked it a bit more, but when you consider that this bottle now retails for $1,500 a bottle or more… Of course, it is very young and probably should not have been opened for 30 years. Medium ruby in color. The nose has nice spice, cherries and strawberries and sandalwood. On the palate, it comes across as a bit darker with cherries and slight cassis notes. The cassis definitely has a liqueur quality to it. Tight, it unwinds in the glass. Certainly, there must be a ton of upside to this. A real treat to try this of course. It is outstanding but perhaps just a victim to over sized expectations. (94 pts.)

A late sticky.
Yes, we had too much wine. Still, we were having fun. A quick trip down to the cellar and for 8 people this was a nice little finish to a great night.

• 1991 Dow Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
    This was pop and pour from a 375 at the end of the evening. Probably should have been given some air but hey. Purple in color. The nose has black raspberries, raisins and milk chocolate. Those flavors carry thru to the palate. Slightly sweet. Rich body and texture. Smooth with little heat. Nice finish. A nice end of the evening. (92 pts.)

Indeed a fun night to share with friends.
Posted from CellarTracker

great notes, sounds like a fun night. my tasting group has floated the idea of all of us chipping in to get a bottle of DRC and building a dinner around that, agree that it seems like we’d just be opening the wine too young. thanks for the notes

Great tasting! A few things…

07 is such a “pretty” vintage, with pretty good pricing to boot!
Clos de Tart doesn’t get the praise it should.
Young DRC is a true joy, but no need to go past GE for its youthful beauty.
I need to try more Dujac!
Glad I didn’t buy those 14 Rousseau Chambertin on CC!

[cheers.gif]

Loren-
That’s a terrific lineup and great notes. Those Dujac bottles sound awesome, and good to know they are already giving up some goods at this point. '05s are so good and so poised for the long haul.
DRC is always special.

Great notes Loren, 2014 seems to have gone into its shell in the last few months.

Very happy to hear those 05 Dujacs are starting to show well! Thanks for the honest and helpful notes.

Buzz, I’d be happy to buy your allocation of those terrible 14 Rousseau Chambertins

Thanks for the notes, Loren. I have one bottle of the 07 Tart and this was a nice peak in. Buried deep at the moment