TN: Shane Syrah ValentiRanch '06...(short/boring)

Couldn’t take the brett last night, so cracked:

1. Shane Syrah ValentiRanch/AndersonVlly (70 cs; www.ShaneWines.com; 14.9%) Sebastapol 2006: Very dark color w/ no bricking; beautiful blackberry/Syrah/blueberry quite peppery/cracked black pepper light smokey/toasty/oak bit earthy/dusty some Rhonish/roasted/coffee very spicy rather complex perfumed nose; rather tart rather Rhonish/roasted/espresso fairly peppery/cold-climate strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah very spicy beautiful flavor w/ light bit wiry/angular tannins; very long/lingering bit tart/angular/bitey light toasty/smokey/oak strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah rather black pepper/cold-climate bit Rhonish/coffee/roasted/smokey light earthy/dusty finish w/ light angular tannins; a beautiful example of cold-climate/peppery Syrah.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I hate wines like this. Whenever I pull out an older Shane/Dehlinger/Radio-Coteau/Novy/Carlisle Syrah and get blown away by it…I scold myself for not buying more of these wines. This is as good as it gets in Calif Syrah.

1. Shane: This is, of course, ShaneFinley. Followed him from the very start…I did. After stints at Copain/Kosta-Brown/PierreGaillard, he is now winemaker at Lynmar. And, of course, his own Shane.

1. Valenti: This is, in fact, up on the MendocinoRidge AVA. So great Syrahs and Viogniers come from this vnyd. It’s a beautiful sight/Site as you drive out towards Elk.
    Tom

Right up your stylistic alley Tom. Sounds cool!

Tom. Shane isn’t at Lynmar any more. He’s moved on to a new project.

Tom, thx for the note and completely agree this is as good as it gets for CA Syrah. I had my one and only bottle of the 2006 Shane Syrah Jemrose Vineyard last year, it was absolutely amazing and may have been my WOTY (and I’m not even a big fan of Syrah).

just finished my 07’s and about to check in on my 09’s. Very enjoyable juice and a good price.

where did Shane end up after Lynmar?

He has several projects at Alysian on Westside Rd. near Healdsburg.

Sounds like a winner, Tom! The “angular” note on an '06? Just acidity/structure or is it still a work in progress?

Mostly, when I say “angular”, I’m referring to the texture of the tannins. I think the wine will
smooth out some over the next 4-6 yrs.
Tom