TN: Saturday Night Burgundy Dinner

BURGUNDY DINNER AT JOHN AND JEN’S - River North - Chicago, IL (8/3/2013)

Thanks to John and Jen for opening up their (gorgeous) apartment and some killer Burgundies. It was a perfect Chicago summer night, we enjoyed the great view from their deck, grilled some kabobs, and opened some great bottles.
Opening Wines
These were opened to start while we enjoyed the view and the weather outside on the deck.

• 2008 Domaine Dublère Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    A really good showing. Rich and forward, this had a beautiful fruit profile with nice toasty, and flinty notes. The fruit had a crystalline focus to it - but was also approachable and inviting. This was a great surprise as the only other vintage of this I have tried (2010) was less exciting. (92 pts.)
  • 2004 Domaine des Lambrays Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos du Cailleret - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
    A bit fat at first, it opened up and smoothed out a bit after an hour or so. The fruit was lush and exotic with melons, citrus, a subtle creaminess. The finish was mineral driven, with beautiful flint notes. (91 pts.)
  • 2001 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Blanchot - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Amazing aromas of seawater, lemons, and flint. This was showing perfectly, with lots of acidic tang and rich fruit - a hallmark of their wines. (95 pts.)
  • 2004 Domaine Leroy Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne
    I really liked how funky this was. It reminded me a lot actually of pinot noir from the Loire. Lots of barnyard, tart red fruit (cranberries/pomegranate), and a touch of tomato. The palate was elegant and lithe with beautiful floral softness and a distinct meatiness that was great. Super yum! (91 pts.)

2001 Cote du Nuits
Served with dinner.

• 2001 Domaine Anne Gros Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    As Richebourg goes, I thought this was rather feminine and lithe. The “power” of this wine was the intensely pure and refined fruit profile. Painfully pure, the gorgeous cherry, cranberry and pomegranates were remarkably delicious and complex. The flavors seemed to intensify and deepen with time, too. This is one of those anti-social wines…when you’re drinking it, you just want to sit by yourself and savor. (94 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Cuvée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru
    Definitely a miss. Something seemed off here…a bit of VA, a bit of funk. I didn’t try this later on in the evening to see if mellowed out.
  • 2001 Bernard Dugat-Py Charmes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Much like the last bottle, this was dark, rich, and layered. Beautifully primed fruit is only going to get more complex and elegant with age, but already is on point. It’s one of those tough situations us wine collectors find ourselves in; do we wait for 10-15 more years for this to REALLY tune up, or do we have a blast drinking it today? I think it’ll be awesome in the future, but I’m glad I opened it today. (92 pts.)

Additional Stuff
More bottles were opened!

• 1996 Domaine Leroy Nuits St. Georges Aux Lavières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges
    A real treat. Had that rich, woodsy, warm spiced aroma that is so recognizable in Leroy wines. The palate had that “1996 firmness”, but with some air softened and fleshed out. Loved its Super-smooth cherries, and the rich and textured floral notes. (94 pts.)
  • 1996 Domaine Robert Arnoux / Arnoux-Lachaux Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru
    A real delight. Super elegant, cool aromas of red fruit, dried florals, and dark spices on the nose were hauntingly expressive. I was a bit nervous this was going to fall into the “96s that aren’t ready to drink yet” category, but was pleasantly surprised by how fleshy, earthy, and plush it was. Great composition of earthy, floral and fruity flavors - seamlessly tied together. This is drinking in a great spot and should probably camp out here for quite a bit longer. (93 pts.)
  • 2001 Camille Giroud Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru
    A very beautiful, floral-driven bottle of RSV. I really enjoyed its elegant, lithe perfume that jumped out of the glass - both zesty, and rich, it was just beautiful. Thought the palate showed well, too. The red fruits were extracted and juicy, but had great structure and a mineral-driven firmness that gave it great balance. Yum. (93 pts.)

Two vintages, 2001 & 1996, are sometimes lumped together as “not ready yet” vintages. Luckily, all of the bottles tonight (except for the funky Vogue) were drinking beautifully well. Both vintages should last a good deal of time, too.
Posted from CellarTracker

Wow.
No little league players here, chooch.
Jealous I am

Jealous to here! Stunning wines and a great view on Chicago! Thanks Matt!

Nice lineup, Matt!
Thanks for the notes.

Nice set of wines.

Has anyone recently tasted a 2001 A F Gros Richebourg?

Great notes Matt.

Impressive week!

Sounds like a great evening. Too bad about the 01 Vogue Musigny - I’ve had this several times and it’s been a “Wow” wine for me…

Last night’s host tried it again today and said it was still off…'twas a bummer. My history with Vogue Musigny is checkered, at best. 3 bottles have been off (90,96,01) and 1 has been great (95)!

Don’t expect to drink that well when you visit us in September, Tooch!

We are poor country folk down in Central Florida. The only burgundy I know is this (served chilled, straw optional):

[cheers.gif] champagne.gif [cheers.gif]

gallo? on who’s dime Alfert?..i guess we could split the cost…since its in Sept. this gives me some time to squirrel some coin away…I appreciate the heads up

Thanks for the notes. Like the note on the Ann Gros Richbourg! Anti-social wine…