TN: Ridge Zin Jimsomare '21....(short/boring)

Tried this new arrival w/ DinDin last night:

1. Ridge Zin Jimsomare MonteBelloVnyd/SantaCruzMtns (13.9%; 100% Zin; 18 brls; bttld Mar’23; 16 mo. in brl; Drk: 1/23-1/35-1/38: TG) 2021: Very dark/near black color; very strong berry/blackberry/Zin very spicy/peppery strong dusty/OV fairly strong vanilla/Ridge oak rugged /mtn/c-c Zin beautiful intense nose; quite tart/tangy very strong spicy/peppery/black pepper quite dusty/OV very strong blackberry/berry/Zin/very spicy strong vanilla/Ridge oak some earthy rather complex flavor w/ ample chewey tannins; very long/lingering complex finish that mimics flavor; a pretty rugged/structured Mtn Zin that needs much age; probably the best of the Ridge Zins '21 I’ve had; a stunning Zin that has yrs to go.$37.80 (ATP)

More klitterbate from TheBloodyPulpit:

1. Wow… pretty amazing Ridge Zin. A very old-timey Ridge Zin like Bennion’s MB Zin (same grapes) or the Occidental Zins of the '70’s because of the acidity. a rugged/structured mtn Zin that needs age.
    Tom
3 Likes

I have tasted some Jimsomare Cab over the years (pretty close to MB IMHO) but not the Zin, although I have some 2018s. How do you compare the Zin with Geyserville and Lytton Springs and at what age do you like to drink these?

Easy/peasy, Howard. I far preferred this Jimsomare to both the LS & G. Those two are much more polished & elegant & balanced. But this Jimsomare was a trip down memory lane for me because of its greater intensity and that it was a rugged mtn Zin that reminded me of MonteBello Zin or Occidental.
Usually the LS is my favorite & the Jimsomare pretty comparable. I almost always like the Jimsomare. This '21, I easily preferred the Jimsomare because of its greater intensity.
Tom

2 Likes

One other huge difference between this and both Geyserville and Lytton Springs is that this is 100% Zin whereas the other two are 70-76% Zin + others . . .

Cheers

2 Likes

Very valid point, Larry.
Tom

Their MB Zins were a blend of Jimsomare and Picchetti (just below Jimsomare). During that era, some vintages were bottled separately, some blended.