TN: Rhone Dinner with Sir Charles Redux

nice notes Alan - great to see you and the rest of the team.

loved the Verset, the Allemand SS was gorgeous (i think that was my favorite of the evening…), Burgundies were a fun diversion, and I was glad how the Juge showed.

looking forward to being back out west in a couple of weeks.

If we follow The Rule of Fifteen, which is a bonafide rule passed down through everlasting winedom, this gives Norther Rhone reds a very shallow drinking window. As The Rule states: “Only once a Northern Rhone red attains age 15 is it to be declared drinkable and thou shall open. Opening before the age of 15 is certain to cause all sundrie[sic] calamities and confusions and shall Not be ordained.”

As we can clearly see, if we follow this rule religiously and you say the Rhones only last until age 20, this gives us only 5 years to drink our wines.

Hard to agree with this. 1990, 1989, 1985, 1983 and 1980 all absolutely singing in the last couple of years.

Fair, were they at apex or on the decline? My Gentaz are all long gone and, for obvious reasons, won’t be refilled. It’s probably been years since I’ve had a bottle and it wouldn’t surprise me if the 1991 in particular were to hold on, but is it better than it was 5 or even 10 years ago? I don’t have the data, but I doubt it, at least to my palate. Keep in mind that you’re British and old wine is more ingrained as an archetype.

You’re probably that implying that it is no more than intellectual exercise is too strong but I don’t think that fading would be.

Had a 91 gentaz last year that was purchased on release. Still really young and closed. Reminded me the state the 91jamet is in right now.

Very glad to hear the 2004 Poyeaux is showing well. I’ve been keeping my hands off but might have to pull one soon.

nathan - any idea on how the 2005s are doing now?

All those vintages still have an abundant, even rich, expression of fruit and long, coherent finishes without any sign of drying or cracking up, so I don’t think they could be described as fading The 1980 and 1983 might be described as at apex, but to me the others remain youthful wines.

Not Nathan, but they continue to be superb. That said, I think they’re a bit more closed than they were a few years ago. If you’ve waited this long, I’d wait a bit more.

What William said. I had a bottle of 2005 Clos about a year ago and it was superb but still young. 2004 is more open and resolved at this point. The Clos has been good for years. Incidentally, I had a 2003 Bourg the other night that showed silkiness on the palate, but the nose was a bit clenched.

Fair enough. It’s been a long time since my last data point and I don’t expect another one.

Thank you nathan and William! So long as I’m asking, any recent experiences with 2002s?

I was lucky enough to have both of those 1991s many times in the late 90s to 2000s and the Jamet was always good and seemed fairly resolved for me. Maybe it’s better now, but I doubt I’ll ever have another bottle. Not paying the current tariff. Both were truly great wines, maybe the best Côte-Rôties I’ve ever had (well, and the 1988 Gentaz). I envy the young ballers getting their hands on well stored bottles.

Nope, last 2002 was a Brézé about 5 years ago. I only have that and Bourg from 2002 and given the current market, maybe I’m a seller.

Nothing from me, either.

As a totally tangential aside, does anyone know when the brothers stopped writing that the Bourg was matured in new oak barrels on the label? Had a 1996 in December which said that!

I guess we needn’t invite you when we drink any of my Chave Hermitage, since it’s all older than your window now :wink:

Heck no. You don’t realize you’re dealing with a sophisticated person here…

7sELqobCIXU

You made me look [cray.gif]

$500 for the 2002 Poyeaux? I don’t know if I can justify drinking it either.

I wonder if anyone is actually buying it at that pricing.

Gangas’ Law of WineSearcher: For a rare wine, WS low is the price at which it does not sell.

That’s a good question. No one I know is, but when bottles show up at auction (which is rare) they generally sell for over high. From HDH in February, Bourg not Poyeux:

Hammer $1600, so $472 a bottle after premium.

DESCRIPTION
(3) 2009 Saumur-Champigny, Le Bourg, Clos Rougeard
Rated: 94+ RP, 93 AG

(1) 2010 Saumur-Champigny, Le Bourg, Clos Rougeard
Rated: 96 RP, 92+? AG

I think we’re seeing a new plateau because the Foucault brothers are gone and I’m sure the wine will be something $100, $200, $400 on release going forward.

All it takes with thinly traded wines is for a few people with deep pockets to get into it. I’m sitting tight for now, but it could get out of my comfort zone.