TN: PYCM...2004 Meursault Les Charmes / 2015 Chassagne Champs Gains

• 2004 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Meursault 1er Cru Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (5/3/2022)
    Had with the 15 Chass Champs Gains…this was open in bottle for an hour…WOW this sucker was rich and ripe…is this a Batard? Rich buttered orchard fruits, baked apple, pear…creamy with a good dose of oak and butterscotch spice…not at all heavy though, as there was a HUGE streak of fresh lemon squeeze acidity fat buster that lifted the wine and really freshened it up. Age has integrated the wine well, was probably massive in its youth…showing some mushroom and dried honey…subtle flint strike, wet slate, gray salt minerality…finishes with a fine line of lemon tart and kick of buttered oak spice…never faded, and drank very well though out the night. This was a fine bottle indeed! (95 pts.)

• 2015 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Champs-Gain - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (5/3/2022)
    Had with the 04 Meursault Charmes…the 15 Les Champs Gains is more on the bright and lean side(pycm standards)…wonderful lime and peach blossom florals…lemon tart cut, mint tea, slight nuanced reduction…really lovely crushed mineral dry extract…did fatten up a little as it warmed in the glass…bright and refreshing…very pretty wine! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Man, I hope this was a special occasion.

I suppose you could argue that any time you open a PYCM, it’s a very special occasion, but I just checked at Wine-Searcher, and them sure ain’t no $75 wines anymore.

Every time I read a Burgundy note now, I think the same thing: How financially prudent is it to actually open and swallow this stuff?!?!?

I don’t even know that I could open bottles like these for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the notes. PYCM is high on my list to try as I explore White Burgs, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet!

Btw…didn’t know Champs Gain(s)vineyard is in Chassagne AND Puligny? I have some Puligny Champs Gain…was surprised to see it on this bottle.

Different vineyards I think. Nice wines and notes in any case!

Assuming you meant financially prudent for you ? [scratch.gif] [pillow-fight.gif]
Why the negativity on an otherwise great note on a great producer?

Yes, different vineyards! “Champs Gain” means re-cultivated field, denoting a site that was scrubland and then returned to viticulture.

great notes as usual man. both bottles showed exceptionally well. while the charmes was nice (hello again old friend), the champs gain i thought was more electric and preferred after the bubbles. it probably had the best nose that evening for me.

[cheers.gif]