TN: Pizza w/ Salil & Summer

PIZZA WITH SALIL & SUMMER - Matt & Summer’s - Chicago, IL (4/3/2014)

Summer made three pizza’s from scratch for Salil’s visit to Chicago. The pizza’s were great, the wine was great, hanging out with Salil was great, but watching the Yankees game sucked. I hate the Yankees.

• 2012 Peter Lauer Riesling Barrel X - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Sleek and cool, this is such a wonderful riesling. Doesn’t have the exotic tropical aromas that some Mosel riesling’s can have, but does have nice melon and pear tones. Loved the sharp acidity and the minerality. Screaming value. (91 pts.)
  • 2012 Dönnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    Some wet stone, lots of petrichor, and peach. Super young with a lot of peach and and saline notes on the palate. Tons of minerality throughout. Lots of potential. (91 pts.)
  • 2009 Dönnhoff Norheimer Dellchen Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe
    Far more linear and zippy than tonight’s other Donnhoff’s. The palate feels like peaches and rocks were cofermented with the riesling. Incredibly edgy and powerful. Amazing. (94 pts.)
  • 1996 Noël Verset Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
    A great Verset. Aromas are meaty, and intensely rustic. Palate is exotic, and airy with very dense meaty flavors. Quintessential Verset, and the best '96 I’ve had. Thanks Salil for opening this! (96 pts.)
  • 2002 Dönnhoff Schloßböckelheimer Kupfergrube Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    Nose of peach and mango with some fresh petrichor tones. This had a definite creamy note on the palate - maybe a bit milky, but ultimately the creaminess was subtle. A deep wine with lots of white floral notes underneath the tropical fruits. Very good wine that had a lot of depth and character. (90 pts.)
  • 2009 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Nahe
    A lot of slate and peach on the nose. Great palate with a lot of firmness and refinement. Fruits are vibrant and zippy, nice sweetness on the end but the acidity keeps the sweetness in check. Should age very well. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Starters

Verset

'02 Donnhoff

Nice turnaround on the notes!

The Verset was amazing. Best bottle of the '96 I’ve had as well. (Hopefully our Hermitage tomorrow is in the same league.)

Agreed that the 09 Dellchen was the class of the various Donnhoffs, though none sucked.

The pizzas - yum.

Good to see the '96 Verset coming around. Drink now or can I conserve on my remaining couple of bottles and wait some more?

You mean I can actually open a Dellchen GG and not have it be sullen and unapproachable?

I’d drink now. It’s absolutely fantastic now - really savoury, meaty, etc, and the structure’s fully resolved. I’ve had two bottles in the last few months that were stunning, and I expect I’ll open my last some time later this year.

Three people, six bottles. Perfect ratio!

The Verset sounds heavenly. The note breathes my country air. This is a wine that never made it to Florida during our dark ages, during the shipping ban.

Last time I saw Summer she was hiding behind the Verset, now it’s an 09 Donhoff. Not bad.

what kind of pizza?

Cool. Will stand-up one at first available opportunity.

I hear Syrah pairs well with baby formula!