TN: Of Rainstorms and Rieslings

OF RAINSTORMS AND RIESLINGS - (10/3/2015)

Great night! Finally got to meet Paul C. in person and always happy to see family and friends.
On a cold, autumnal night (finally!), with rain pounding on the window (or was it the dishwasher? Rob?)
We gathered to drink, eat and laugh… i think we managed all 3 pretty well!
some brief notes on the wines - was having way too much fun to stop and write.

• 2013 KMV Project Chardonnay - USA, New York, Long Island, North Fork
    sweet mango, rich fruit with zesty citrus in the mid. good finish. just love this wine - fun in a bottle. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Weingut von Othegraven Wiltingen Kupp Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    peach, pear, ripe tropical notes on the nose, mid is ripe - spatlese weight, green apples and orchard fruit. zesty/citrusy finish. delicious. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    put this away! starting to shift from fruit forward to developing some secondary notes - thus perhaps less power than expected…BUT… this is a classic. red berries, mineral on the nose. rich delicious mid with pineapples and ripe pears. tinge of herbal power that will be there in time. love it. (93 pts.)
  • 1998 Martin Müllen Kröver Paradies Riesling Auslese trocken - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Needed time… we popped and poured - but the best taste came at the end of the night. arg. Sour plum, herbs, thick and rich mid (reminding me of K-R) with time - fruit came in - riper, with yellow apple and pear. long finish. this may be a touch less fun the the spatlese were but i would open a few hours ahead next time. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Weingut Jakob Schneider Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling trocken MAGNUS - Germany, Nahe
    Ripe with sleek stone. on opening the mid and finish were hiding but with time it opened up a lot more. mid has lots of citrus layers with a touch of pineapple. dry medium long finish. i would come back in a few years (i have one squirreled away) (91 pts.)

• 2006 Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir Louise - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    the nose was lovely - floral with some pinot funk and a touch of cola. mid is sour cherry, raspberry, hints of licorice and earth. perhaps a bit more reticent that expected but quite good. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 KMV Project Red Bordeaux Blend - USA, New York, Long Island, North Fork
    did not take a formal note - because i have been lucky to taste this many times now. Powerhouse of the wine. Blueberry and spice. but this is evolving - got a touch of herbs and cassis along with a more settles mid (still full of zesty acidity to balance the powerful fruit). Great wine. (92 pts.)
  • 2005 Carlisle Two Acres - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    LOVE. very young and fresh. zinberry, spicy red fruit. how this is 16% alc is… mindboggling. black cherry, herbs, plum and acidity in the mid. powerful finish. earthy - herby notes. the fresh fruit in a ten yearold wine - amazing. (93 pts.)

• 2001 Château de Malle - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    to me - this is what i love in Sauternes. light on its feet, apricots and pineapple, perfume, honey and cotton candy. with time - bit more nutty and a touch of vanilla. mid is light, sweet but with the acidity keeping it fresh. perfect way to end a meal. (btw - color here was light leaning to gold - quite young looking. cellared since release) (91 pts.)

Thanks to all of you guys - and hope to see you soon!
Posted from CellarTracker