TN: NV Éléonore Champagne Grand Cru Ambigramme

Happy New Year berserkers!

We celebrated the Eve with this bottle that was introduced and sold to me by the forum’s very own @Phil_T_r_o_t_t_e_r. As he mentioned having joined a French online business specializing in Champagne a while ago I made it known that new recommendations are very much welcome. Soon after an introduction to the production of an Oger-based estate called Éléonore appeared in my inbox and we were in business. I reckon something like this is common among berserkers in the US but for me it is a first (and hopefully not the last!). While I feel like I have got so much from this website this definitely adds another dimension to it.

The wine - the entry level wine of the estate and 100% Grand Cru but the story doesn’t say whether it is pure Oger - turned out to be a most classic Côte des Blancs Chardonnay in my preferred style (think for example Agrapart). A beautiful ballerina of a wine - highly enjoyable on its own but also extremely gastronomic. I’ll definitely need to explore the range further.

• NV Éléonore Champagne Grand Cru Ambigramme - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (1.1.2024)
    71% 2018, 3.5% 2017 and 25.5% 2016. No malolactic fermentation. Dosage 4.8 g/l, disgorged 11/2022. Classy and classic on the nose with notes of green apple, tangerine, iodine, chalk, lees and faint toastiness. The aromatics are delicate yet detailed. The mousse is rather refined and palate-caressing and quite persistent too. The dosage seems very much on point to me as this is properly dry and thoroughly refreshing with some bitter hints but without being austere or bony. The flavor profile is very pure and akin to the nose with perhaps a bit more stonefruit character. I find the chalkiness to be especially prominent and it suits the wine’s chiselled frame well. Simply put, stellar stuff.

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

I’m super glad you liked this!

The fruit is from Avize, Oger and Le-Mesnil-Sur-Oger.

The wines can go by on their own merit but it’s also made better by the fact that both Anastasia and Didier are genuinely nice people. Let us know when you try the Gageure 22, another beautiful wine with a different profile.

We’ve got a few new “nuggets” coming in in 2024. I can’t wait!

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight - the pedigree certainly shines through. Follow this space for my Gageure 22 :snort: looking forward to more new discoveries from your direction!