TN: NV Bodegas Hidalgo - "Wellington" 30 Year Old Palo Cortado VORS (Sherry)

In a word: crystaunbelievaimagnifistupendisicent!

Superlative, expressive, and complex bouquet. Complex, intense, and delicate flavors. Harmonious, deft, and assured palate presence. My score could be conservative.

B: 50, 5, 15, 19, 9 = (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Good stuff indeed. Thankfully, a friend distributes this in Manila. I try to always have some at home because my wife loves it too.

Best,

N

N0e1,

You are lucky to have a friend thusly connected! This is some sublime stuff, yes it is. Do you, or your wife, have any suggestions of other similar sherries that I should seek-out, given my adoration of this one?

• Brian

Hello, Brian,

Another palo cortado we like a lot is Bodegas Emilio Lustau Palo Cortado Península Sherry. For an oloroso, the 1990 Emilio Lustau Oloroso Abocado is one of my favorites. Happy hunting!

Best,

N

Thanks, N0e1. I’ll try to hunt 'em down. Cheers!

• Brian

I haven’t had this but Hidalgo’s regular PC reserve bottling is very good and is my general “go-to” Palo Cortado if one can have such a thing.

Assuming the uptick in quality is similar as that between their 30 year and reserve Amontillados you should find it quite worthwhile if not quite so orgasmic as the 30 year :slight_smile:

NV Bodegas Hidalgo Wellington 30 Year Old Palo Cortado VORS - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (12/12/2012)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 days –

NOSE: very expressive; tawny; salinic; old wood furniture; some oak; hint of dried/candied ginger; could smell this all day long.

BODY: amber-tinged dark tan color; medium bodied; some sediment in the bottle.

TASTE: Wow! Very salinic; powerful presence; LOL!; almond and toasted almond; Bergamot tea; the power really belies its medium weight; hint of toffee on the long finish, which is of medium-strong to strong intensity; acidity is high and almost surprising in its assertiveness; each sip is worth 5 minutes in heaven; intense salinity and acidity; some oak; 19% alc. is not noticeable; LOL-good stuff right here. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

B: 50, 5, 14, 19, 10 = (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker