TN: New Bucklin Reds....(short/boring)

We tried these (mostly) new Bucklin wines at Pig+Fig last night:

1. Bucklin OldHillRanch Bambino FieldBlend (14.2%; Vines plntd in 1998; 78% Zin/14% PetiteSirah/8% AlicanteBouschet) 2021: Very dark color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/bright/very spicy some SonomaVlly/peppery light toasty/oak lovely nose; slightly off-dry/rich/lush strong blackberry/Zin/spicy slight SV/peppery light toasty/oak flavor w/ light/ripe/soft tannins; med.long finish that reflects flavor; a rather good Zin for the price; a bit on the ripe side & lacking a bit on structure; doesn’t seem up to the level of previous Bambinos. $28.00

1. Bucklin CabSauv BedrockVnyd SonomaVlly/SonomaCnty (14.7%; 100% CS; 27 yr old vines; Clone 337 on 110R rootstock; 18 mo. in Fr.oak; pH: 3.68; TA: 0.59%; 122 cs) Bucklin/Sonoma 2021: Very dark near black color; strong blackcurranty/CS/boysenberry some toasty/Fr.oak slight SV/peppery bit complex rather ripe nose; somewhat soft strong blackcurranty/CS/boysenberry/ripe some toasty/oak rather rich/lush/fleshy flavor w/ modest ripe tannins; very long/lingering ripe/blackcurranty finish w/ modest ripe tannins; a pretty classic SV CS that needs several yrs but not particularly distinctive; rather on the ripe side & a bit lacking in structure & grip; nice Cab for the price but just that. $38.00

1. Bucklin OldHillRanch Ancient Field Blend (14.8%; Plntd in 1885; 278 cs) 2021: Very dark near black color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/very spicy some toasty/oak quite SV/peppery some dusty/OV quite ripe/rich/lush nose; bit soft very rich/lush/ripe quite dusty/OV some toasty/oak quite youthful ripe flavor w/ modest soft/ripe tannins; very long/lingering very spicy/dusty/OV finish that reflects flavor; a pretty classic/youthful expression of OH Zin that needs some 2-5 yrs of age. $46.00

1. Bucklin OldHillRanch Ancient Field Blend (15.3%; Plntd in 1885; 592 cs) 2018: Very dark color; fairly complex strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry some peppery/SV fairly dusty/OV modest toasty/oak nose; fairly complex quite spicy/blackberry/Zin/boysenberry/ripe rather dusty/OV strong SV/peppery modest toasty/oak flavor w/ modest ripe tannins; very similar to the '21 but more complexity & spiciness & showing a bit of evolution; a pretty classic OH Zin. $42.00

More silertap from TheBloodyPulpit:

1. These are the wines of WillBucklin, owner of the ancient OldHillVnyd, source of some of the greatest Zins in Calif (Ravenswood/Carlisle/Once&Future/Bedrock). I liked all four of these reds quite a lot. They all spoke strongly of SonomaVlly and of OldHill wines. The emphasis was clearly on ripeness. I felt the wines were a bit lacking in structure and are not going to be long-lived reds in the way the old Ravenswoods were. I think Bedrock/O&F/Carlisle make rather more interesting wines from these grapes. But they are all good/solid reds.
    Tom
7 Likes

Mine arrived about a week ago. Might grab a bottle in another week or so.

Thanks for the notes Tom. Drinking a 2018 Otto’s grenache as we speak. Damn tasty and in a really good spot. These ‘younger’ grenache vines are producing nice wines already.

1 Like

Pop and pour on the '22 Otto’s Grenache tonight. My first try from them and I’m very encouraged. A lot of strawberry notes, which I absolutely despise in California Pinot but work well with the weight of the wine. Gorgeous color.

Edit: the pepper is really coming out and is probably why the strawberry is working well.

1 Like