TN: Movia, Niedrist and Clerico

MOVIA, NIEDRIST AND CLERICO - Trentina’s (2/12/2016)

Last night my wife and I were joined by our friend Peter for dinner at Trentina’s. Not a long engaged, dinner as we were on our way to the Cleveland Orchestra. Still, it was a special enough occasion to dip into some interesting wines. All the wines were pop and pour as we went back and forth sampling them over 1.5 hours.

• 2011 Movia Ribolla Gialla - Slovenia, Primorska, Goriška Brda
    Consistent wine. Light golden/slight green in color. The nose has a lot of minerality. A bit of pears. Nice oily/creamy texture. Good acidity. Perhaps slightly less vibrant than a prior bottle. Could be due to the extreme cold outside; it just didn’t feel warm. In any event, there is a lovely complexity and depth to make up for that. Nice minerality. Also a dry honey quality, if that makes sense. My last bottle and that’s fine, I will look for more recent vintages. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Ignaz Niedrist Lagrein Alto Adige - Südtirol Berger Gei - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Alto Adige - Südtirol
    Inky purple in color. The nose is deep. And very young. Black raspberries, dark cherries, clay, fresh oak, slight vanilla and spice oak, and leather. On the palate, blind, one might guess CA, maybe a GSM blend. Its a bit different but not like any Lagrein. Seems larger than the 11. On the palate, this is very deep. Lush black cherry fruit. It unwinds in the glass. Great acidity. Needs a few years of cellaring. My wife, who loves big, new world wines, loved this. So did I. Plenty of acidity to work with food. Great value. May even have more upside. (93 pts.)
  • 2000 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    This is really in a nice place. Pop and pour and it probably would have been a bit better with some decanting. At 16 from vintage, this still has a long life in front of it. Getting close to peak though. Ruby/purple in color. The nose is very nice with cherries, slight dark cherries, a bit of tar and still some oak showing. Mild tannins. On the palate, plenty of cherry and some dark cherry fruit. A bit of earthiness. Nice round texture. Enough acidity to work great with the food. Reasonably complex. No hurry at all. Bottle bought on release. (94 pts.)

I love it when a plan comes together.
Posted from CellarTracker