TN: May flowers

Bize, Savigny-les-Beaune, ‘Aux Vergelesses’, 2007
Takes a while for the nose to come around; not so for the palate, which is ready to go. There’s somewhat of a firm grip to this, but also light raspberry, cherry, and a touch of perilla and parsley leaf at the end. Talc-like tannins with some iron shavings on the finish. Very nice weight. Light and refreshing. 13.5% B+/A-

Quinta da Pellada, Dão (branco), 2011
Medium brassy gold. Savory scents, tree roots, light lemon. Light lemony minerals, herbs, and sea salt, with a bitter dimension on the finish. 13% Not bad. B+ [blend of: Cerceal 40%, Bical 40%, Encruzado 20%]

Barici, Brunello di Montalcino, 2001
Color beginning to mature at the rim. Balsamic flavors and cedar, with lovely old church pew, and fruit leather aromas. Cherry with aged balsamic vinegar, very integrated and delicious right now. Excellent balance and cut, if not totally long in the finish. A/A-

Ritchie Creek, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District, 2007
Dark black-red color. Mint, charcoal grilled plums and pepsin on the nose. The palate shows grilled plums, menthol-euculyptus, and dry stony tannins on the end. Rough like a real mountain cab. Alcohol juts out on the end. This is young, and needs 5-7 years simply to become more drinkable, but perhaps not more complex, as this seems like a brutus of a wine. 13.8% B+

Guccione, “T”, vino bianco, [2013]
File this under “O” for odd. These wines are such a tough sell already, I don’t know why this producer is making it even more obtuse. Let’s say this is an orange wine from Sicily, as it is coppery golden colored. There is cidery, orange wine smells. Refreshing ginger and orange blossom and a white tea finish, not overdone in the orange style. 14% I would definitely buy again (around $35). This is trebbiano from the other side of the island from Etna.

For some reason, “pepsin” brings out the Pepsi can. Weird.

Dredging this one out of the archives.

Just pulled out the 2007 Bize SlB Vergelesses on Sunday evening. Definitely red fruited with loam and underbrush…also a mineral streak. I caught a faint touch of green-ness, possibly rhubarb. Feminine with some firmness. Very nice acidity and plenty of length. The tannins are noticeable but integrated. The wine morphs with air time, showing various facets of fruit and secondary nuance along with some traces of tertiary leather. It’s in to its peak window IMHO which could last quite a long time. Very fine showing.

RT

Thanks for the update, Richard!

No problem. I was a fan of Patrick Bize and the sometimes nearly cutting acidity of his SLBs. I hope Chisa is doing well with the estate.

RT