TN: Ma Cuisine. 05 Coche Chevaliers, 07 Roumier Bussiere

• 2005 Coche-Dury Meursault Les Chevalières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (6/3/2011)
    Dinner at Ma Cuisine
    Beautiful golden color. At first there is a fair amount of Coche matchstick, with Honey, citrus candy and nuts. The matchsticks resolved completely by day three. The best day for drinking was the third day, where it became incredibly dense but weightless, and with huge minerality, almost like drinking stones. This was rich and deep with marzipan, again huge stoniness, crystallized lemon, almonds, almost liquorous in its texture but all the while not heavy or cloying. this was dialed up to 10 on the intensity scale and carried it off beautifully. this has brilliant clarity and focus, and in unreasonably long on the back end. long. Fantastic. 97pts (97 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos de La Bussière - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru (6/3/2011)
    Dinner at Ma Cuisine
    Decanted for 90 mintes and drunk over three hours the first night, then rebottled untl day three.
    Medium ruby in color. The nose is understated and elegant. Very pretty with cooler pinot fruit, perfume, spice, and cherries. Supple on the palate, with beautiful texture. Lots of spices cardamom, clove, and beautiufl fruit. This was elegant and understated, and all the while being very deep. A very long, spicy finish with fine tannins and while fruit profile is very Morey, it has an almost chambolle texture. While very enjoyable the first night, by day three it really was in a beautiful place. 91 pts (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Please don’t ask me how I let these last three days. I still don’t know.

Thanks for reading

Thanks Todd,

That Coche sounds really special…surprised Jeremy left it on the list for you to grab!!!

OMFG that Coche sounds good. What is with the spate of Ma Cuisine visits from board members? I am hating with jealousy right now!

At first there is a fair amount of Coche matchstick, with Honey, citrus candy and nuts. The matchsticks resolved completely by day three. The best day for drinking was the third day, where it became incredibly dense but weightless, and with huge minerality, almost like drinking stones.

I think it’s this “matchstick” that I’ve always found objectionable in Coche’s wines. I have always attributed it to the kind of/amount of oak treatment in his wines, which I find too intrusive (though I can’t say too much, as I don’t know). Some people obviously think this is a uniquely appealing element, as many people love his wines and use the term “matchstick”.

I wonder what it is? [scratch.gif] Anyone know?

I have to say that I’ve never given one of his wines 3 days though…I’ve given others’ wines similar runs.

I’ve always associated “matchstick” with sulfur. No? If not, I’d certainly be interested in knowing what it is, too. I’ve never tried a Coche, though.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Paul, I was lazy in posting and i think I was there a day or two before Jeremy and the crew. I might have left been drinking '98 Village vines otherwise.

Eric, it was a moving wine. It was outstanding the first night, but it absolutely blossomed over the next couple days. One of the best Chards I’ve had for sure.

Stuart, I also think the matchstick is sulfur, but I may be wrong. I often am.

Thanks again

wow, they sure let you keep a table for a long time . . .
alan

Alan, it’s France, dinners are long you know. [basic-smile.gif]