TN: Liquid Farm 4/4 Blind Chardonnay Shootout, Charleston

LIQUID FARM 4/4 BLIND CHARDONNAY SHOOTOUT, CHARLESTON - LWS (4/5/2014)

There were 7 of us; I provided the Chardonnay. Others brought reds and bubbles. No one was aware of the variety, place of origin or age. I simply told the tasters that we had 5 white wines of similar age and similar price point. I would classify this as a very difficult tasting because there were no “ringers” in the group except possibly the Vincent once I revealed that one of the wines was from Oregon.
I intentionally led with Chablis and chose one which sees a little oak to pair with the Liquid Farm White Hill. Even my wife was fooled (gonna pay for that one). The Vincent was the middle wine, throwing some off the track of an all-Chard tasting. The Roulot also fooled a number of the tasters. Even when I revealed the places of origin and that the wines were Chardonnay, people had a difficult time placing them in the correct order. The Sojourn was a popular choice for Sta Rita Hills.

The other wines, with the exception of the Champagne, were also served blind.

• 2011 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis 1er Cru Montmains - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Liquid Farm 4/4 Blind Chardonnay Shootout.
    Minerally crushed rock with a little salinity wrapped in wonderful citrus. The oak, while present, is well-integrated and balanced by the lively acidity. Somebody bring me some oysters, please.
  • 2012 Liquid Farm Chardonnay White Hill - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills
    Many at the tasting predictably pegged this for Chablis. For me the minerality and acidity is there but there is still a ripeness and hint of sweetness which leads me to California. Maybe the lemon on the palate leans toward Meyer. This is a delicious wine that screams for food.
  • 2012 Vincent Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills
    This wine was really confusing to the tasters. There is so much pear and soft quince on the palate that people went away from Chardonnay. The acid is also hidden a bit. It is certainly a unique wine a quite enjoyable.
  • 2011 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc
    This one was a real fooler for nearly everyone at the tasting. It is certainly very busy for a Bourgogne, and especially for Roulot. There is plenty of lemon, but also quince, white flower, mineral and a big hit of ginger. There is certainly potential here but it needs to settle down a bit. Still my wine of the day though because it made me think so much.
  • 2012 Sojourn Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    This one actually had significant ripeness for what I expected from Sonoma Coast. I think the structure and oak support the ripeness quite well, producing a nicely balanced wine. Asian pear, mixed citrus and some toasty nuts.

Posted from CellarTracker