TN: La Paulee fun..dinner w/99 Roulot Perrieres, 09 G-Max, 97 Grange, 04 Monfo, 89 Palmer/Bonneau...

What a FUN fun day of drinking fri at La Paulee! Arrived bright and early fri morning and headed to the Verticals Tasting……you know its going to be great day when your first sip to start is 2010 Drouhin Marquis de Laguiche! I was like a kid in a candy store! SO many great wines to be had….I said screw the notes…I’m gunna do some serious drinkin here!! [drinkers.gif] Went back many times to the 10/08/06 Drouhin Laguiche…10 was amazing! PYCM Batard 11/09/07 was rockstar…07 brilliant. Dujac Malconsorts 09/06/05…great to meet Jeremy……next to Hudelot Noellat…LOVED the 12 RSV, and the 95 was fresh and killing it….tied for aged wine of the tasting with the 96 Vogue Bonnes Mares. Mikulski Genevrieres 10/09/99 were all tasty, especially the 99…I went back later on, and the 09 was showing some ox unbeknownst to the pourer…they quickly replaced it! [wink.gif] I was enthralled with the wines of Ballot-Millot…Meursault Perrieres 08/06/04…especially the 04…HUGE reduction, smoky flintiness pure and rich fruit with energy…I thought “Leflaive did make it to the tasting!”
Such a fun time…all the wines were great…the people really enjoying the event…great to see Thomas Rivers Brown, Doug and Jon again…meet Jeremy Seysses, Daniel Johnnes, shared a pick of the 72 BM we had a few years ago with Jean-Luc Pepin of Vogue which he enjoyed seeing…….just a great time!

Then headed over to RN74 for the Zachy auction……sat with whale buyer…enjoyed watching the bidding and sipping on some goodies…10 pycm Corton, 52 Remoissenet Clos Vougeot, 88 Rousseau CsJ, 13 Fourrier Ech/07 CsJ……some other…but missed out on a lot of DRC around us! ;-(
Then the four of us had a great dinner, at a peaceful pace, at Campton Place………

LA PAULEE S.F. 2016 - Dinner: The Campton Place San Francisco (3/6/2016)

Dinner

• 1999 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Little disappointed in this one with huge expectations….a lot richer and buttered than expected….a big Perrieres….somewhat sweet pitted,pear full bodied fruit…aged honey notes….wonderful lime blossom florals, chalky minerality, smoked spices, almond oil, lanolin…….but more buttered and sweeter than I would have like…….the 09 G Max we had with it might have effected my palate on this one. Still a joy to ever get to try one of these…hopefully the other bottle I have will have more energy in it. (93 pts.)

• 2009 Weingut Keller Riesling G-Max - Germany, Rheinhessen
    WOW what a wine! PERFECT with our Indian cuisine dishes at the Campton Place……amazing richness and mouth coating joy….the nose anticipated sweetness…but not at all too sweet…wonderful dryness and minerality…fresh citrus acidity creating huge energy. Exotic fruits, creamy and pure…smoked herbs, extracted oils, perfumed florals…layer after layer of perfect balanced sweetness, acidity, and salinity with a kaleidoscope of the best Riesling flavors…dialed to 11! (98 pts.)

• 1997 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia
    My first Grange…a blend of 96% Shiraz and 4% Cabernet Sauvignon(guys I knew it wasn’t 100% Shiraz! :wink:)….this was from a perfect stored bottle….fabulous! Drank like a fine aged(big) Cabernet….very dark and saturated liqueured berries…blackberry,blueberry,cherry,currant….mouth coating smooth and plush….very youthful, yet showing wonderful aged leather, camphor, graphite powder, pencil….cinnamon spiced mocha, dried fruits…very suductive and drank well all night! (97 pts.)

• 2004 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva Monfortino - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Decanted this one as much as we could for the time we had…but it still needed probably days! We were pumping on the chest of this one all night trying to wake it up…it just needs 10 more years! But its all in there, waiting to blossom……super tight structure…amazing deep deep exotic spices and florals…liqueured red berry fruits, subtle tar, orange peel, fresh roses and violets, leather……there is power in there, but also finesse and elegance….a few times I was able to coax out a glimpse of perfection with the right bite of food….will be truly a legend of a wine when the time comes! Definitely +++pts here. (95 pts.)

• 2001 Château Guiraud - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Perfect with the foie gras dish….sweet botrytis fruit of apricot, pineapple, grapefruit…super 01 acidity…lifted and balanced, orange and lemon citrus acidity, minerality, and even a little grapefruit tang on the finish. Has a lot of tasty complexities…dried honey, saffron threads, ginger, tobacco ash, candied oranges/apricot…still drinking well. (93 pts.)

Couple 89’s after dinner

• 1989 Château Palmer - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Super bottle here….silky smooth, layered and concentrated, yet gracefully aging….sweet dark berry fruit, licorice, graphite, leather….wonderful sensual earth tones here…sous bois, truffle, damp forest….perfumed flowers and spices….kept getting better and better in the glass! (94 pts.)
  • 1989 Henri Bonneau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Célestins - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    WOW…animal and earth here……super rich and concentrated, especially for its age, dark berried fruits…sweet and liqueured…silky balanced with age….leather, smoked game, mushroom farm, dried currants, licorice, exotic spices and florals……a good amount of fresh acidity livens the palate as well……wanted to spend more time with this one…great wine! (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

glad you had fun–kid in a candy store is a great description.

The spirit……notice the wine makers next to us?? flirtysmile

[video]http://vid909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/buzzini1/4E3A77C9-C43C-48BC-AE64-B8316EE9CA02_zpsrk3dwqxo.mp4[/video]

that was an awesome weekend. there were ridiculous quantity of great wines at the pre-paulee dinner at boulevard on thursday, the verticals, the auction (including the dregs of 99 drc riche :wink:, but for some reason the most memorable wines for me were the last 6 bottles (minus the sauterne). maybe at this point i was done with burgs and I just needed something different, maybe it’s the food, maybe it’s the company…regardless it was another great wine weekend that I hope to participate in again in the future.

[cheers.gif]