TN: Jolly Pumpkin - Biere de Garde Biere de Mars

Here’s my real review of this beer: flirtysmile [swoon.gif] flirtysmile [swoon.gif] flirtysmile [swoon.gif] flirtysmile [swoon.gif] flirtysmile

Here’s my boring review:

Pours a dark auburn brown color; hazy; medium bodied. Sour and complex on the Nose. On the palate, this really comes across more like a wine than a beer – it actually tasted of juicy cabernet and syrah berries. Oak is moderately noticeable, but not distracting. Jolly Pumpkin calls this a “French Stock Ale aged in Oak barrels” on the label; it is sour, but not mouthpuckeringly so. This is by far the best Jolly Pumpkin beer I’ve ever had, and while drinking it last night with Ashley and Z, I decided it might be one of the 10 best beers I’ve ever had. It really sucks how stinkin hard it is to find this beer, but it’s worth the effort – it’s a seasonal brew that is released in March (according to the JP website) – I purchased this bottle in February of 2009, so perhaps this was brewed in 2008; a sticker on the label said Batch 346/Batch 348. 7% alc.

B: 50, 5, 13, 19, 10 = 97

Posted from CellarTracker

Man-o-man this sure does sound good Brian. Did u find it out in Cali, or somewhere else? I didn’t see any during my MI visit.

Must buy.

I found it in CA – once upon a time, K&L had 5 bottles in stock; I bought 2. I was a fucking idiot to not buy the other three. I have never seen this beer otherwise.

Sadly I have never seen this one either, though I’d love to try it. I really like a couple of Jolly Pumpkin’s other beers. I like how they seem to be able to get a consistent amount of the sourness and corresponding flavors without obstructing the rest of the components. I love the real note, and the boring one was informative.

I will be at the Jolly Pumpkin Brewery this coming Friday - very happy! This seems to be a spring release, so I may not find it, but lots of other good stuff on their current release list.

some Traverse City action for ya, Scott, or will you be in Dexter?

TC all the way Brian! We are going up for some winery tours, and with JP right in the middle of it all, WHY NOT?!?!

The weird thing is that I’ve always spent a good amount of time with Michigan wines and beers, but Jolly Pumpkin was never on my radar. About to change!

Niiice! Don’t forget to pack your ear muffs! [wow.gif] I expect a run-down of what you taste while there!!

You betcha!