TN: Jaffurs PetiteSirah Thompson '03...(short/boring)

This was brought last night as a mystery wine:

1. Jaffurs PetiteSirah ThompsonVnyd/SBC (ArchibaldCuvee; 15.7%) 2003: Black color; very intense blackberry/boysenberry/plummy/PS some peppery/earthy some toasty/smokey/oak somewhat complex beautiful nose; soft very intense blackberry/boysenberry/plummy/PS/peppery some toasty/oak flavor w/ light soft/graceful tannins; very long/lingering very intense blackberry/blueberry/boysenberry/PS/peppery some smokey/charred/oak w/ smooth/resolved tannins; a beautiful example of Calif PS and in a wonderful spot right now. $24.00 (JamesLamb mystery wine)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. This was the first yr of production of the Jaffurs PS and this was from the famed Archibald Cuvee. We’d tried the '04 version w/ James & Lynn the night before over apps and it had much the same aromas & flavors, but w/ some pretty hard tannins. The '03 was in much better condition and the tannins seemed to be fully resolved and this btl was totally free of any earwig taint. About as perfect a Calif PS as you can find. I expect it’ll still go another 4-6 yrs.
    Tom

OK Tom, I’ve had this wine but I have no idea what earwig taint is. My 2003, bought at the winery in 2005, was consumed last year and was still pretty tannic. Glad to hear yours had the tannins resolved. Even with the tannins I thought this was a nice bottle.