TN: Idlewild Arneis/Broc LoveRed....(short/boring)

Tried these two w/ Susan Fri night at DinDin:

1. Idlewild Arneis LostHillsRanch/YorkvilleHighlands (11.5%; www.IdlewildWines.com) Geyserville 2022: Med.light gold color w/ some tiny bubbles; lovely very fragrant Arneis/floral/gardenias/spicy light mineral/stony bit spicy/nutmeg very perfumed nose; fairly tart/tangy slightly rich very strong floral/Arneis/gardenias/spicy/nutmeg light stony/mineral very perfumed flavor;very long/lingering floral/Arneis finish that mimics the flavor; seems much richer than the 11.5%; a lovely floral Arneis but not the strong stony/chalky character of Piemonte Arneis; quite a lovely expression of Arneis; should go another 3-6 yrs. $42.00

1. BrocCllrs LoveRed NorthCoast RW (12.5%; Carignan/Vldigue/Syrah) Clay Brockway/Berkeley 2021: Med.dark color; strong Carigmnan/black cherry/cherry light toasty/oak rather earthy/dusty/OV light pencilly/oak somewhat rustic/MendoCnty/tomatoey rather unthrilling nose; lightly tart/tangy rather strong Carignan/cherry quite earthy/loamy/rustic/quite coarse some dusty/OVstrong MendoCnty/tomatoey bit simple flavor w/ light rough/coarse tannins; med.long rough/coarse/loamy/earthy some Carignan/cherry finish w/ some coarse tannins; a paucity of fruit & a strong rough/coarse/lomamy character; an old-timey MendoCnty red & rather on the dull side w/ little bright fruit; a coarse/rustic Vin de Soif but nothing more. $23.50

More bricklgorg from TheBloodyPulpit:

1. The Idlewild was from my shipment last week of the new Idlewilds. Sam does a particularly good job w/ Arneis & Cortese and this is one of his best.
    The Broc LoveRed is a natural wine but shows no natty/unclean character whatsoever. So it can be done & the Brocs are typically clean/non-natty wines. But this one pretty much on the dull/old-timey side.
    Tom

Hey Tom,

From my limited experience I’d say Carnignan really needs to be fully ripe to offer anything interesting to the party. With that alc level, I just wonder.

Casey,

Agreed - kind of. I think it’s possible to make an interesting Carignane that’s not overly ripe - but whole cluster and older oak will help bring out some of the inherent ‘earthier’ qualities that, to me, make this an interesting variety to work with…

Just for curiosity sake, is $42 the price on the bottle or what you paid with tax, shipping, etc. included?

That was the single btl price, no discount. Tax/shipping not included, Jim.
Tom

Umm…I don’t think it was $42.

Looks like that Idlewild is $36 on their website. Tom, where did you purchase?

You’re right. It was $36. The other three I got (Favorita/Freisa/Grignolino) were $42.
Tom