TN: Huet, Ten Years Apart

Two examples of Le Mont Sec from Huet here, from the 2005 vintage (despite promising myself that I wouldn’t open another of these for a while) and also from 1995, recently savoured with roast pork and crispy-crunchy crackling.

Domaine Huet Vouvray Le Mont Sec 2005: This bottle shows a little differently to the one recently tasted at 21212; whereas that one seemed very open and intensely minerally, this bottle seems very tight, linear and pure (more what I would expect from the wine and the vintage at present). There is cleanly defined stone fruit on the nose, with a slightly steely element to it. Nevertheless there is an elegant depth to the palate, crisp but well polished with stony, white fruits. The finish is delineated, pure but very, very long. This is a fine vintage for Huet, although in all honesty I think there is success here every year at the moment. Give this 8-10 years (or indeed longer) and it willl be great. 18+/20

Domaine Huet Vouvray Le Mont Sec 1995: It’s a great opportunity for me to try this wine alongside the 2005, a glimpse perhaps of what the more recent vintage might offer. It has a glorious, pure, pale-golden hue. The nose carries aromas of crystalline quince and herbal tea, with a great, liquid-rock minerality. This has purity yet also richness. This character comes through on the palate as well, with has a lovely, evolved, mouth-filling, surprisingly fleshy richness which is nicely balanced out by the dry structure. There is a touch of crystalline fruit and grip at the finish. Very good indeed, beautiful now, no need to rush to drink here, and indeed may well develop further. 17+/20

Thanks, Chris. Always enjoy your notes.

Glad to here that about the '05s, Chris! I have a case of that put away for long-term sleeping. Thanks for the notes!

On a slightly different vein, for the Huet geeks out there, it’s worth noting that Chambers Street Wines (at last look) now has the 2002 Huet Petillant (2nd Release) for $27.99. The 2002 Reserve is apparently planned for availability in 2010.