TN: G. Mascarello 2005 Barbera Santo Stefano di Perno & 2004 Langhe Freisa Toetto

Had these two G. Mascarello wines quite recently (separate occasions) and was positively surprised by the Barbera, usually not my favorite grape though in the right hands/sites I like it quite a lot. The usually great 2004 Toetto was unfortunately an off bottle - no recovery from the oxidative notes over the following days.

• 2005 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barbera d'Alba Superiore Santo Stefano di Perno - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d'Alba Superiore (19-12-2022)
    Started off a bit tired and disjointed (PnP, drank over 3 days) and didn't open up until the second day. Freshened and sharpened up completely and firing on all cylinders.

Dusty tannins, fresh acidity and flavors of spices, red/dark cherries, blackberries, citrus fruit notes. In addition there is something I can't put my finger on but makes me think about incense.

A long salivating finish, and the tannin structure becomes more pronounce over time, yet silky. Amaro notes develops in the finish. (92 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2004 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Langhe Freisa Toetto - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (19-12-2022)
    Unfortunately quite oxidized notes, however the underlaying taste profile shows great - reminding me of previous bottles had. Makes me positively optimistic that this was an off bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like