TN: Foillard, Pichler, Scotty Paul

Opened a couple wines on this beautiful 70 degree day in the Black Hills of South Dakota - the wines went well with some locally caught elk. Yum.

• 2009 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (1/5/2012)
    Awesome stuff with spicy dark berries, nice minerality and a smokey herb note. This is a denser Beaujolais than, say, Pierre Chermette and I like the fullness. Should age incredibly well. (92 pts.)
  • 2007 Scott Paul Cellars Pinot Noir La Paulee - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/5/2012)
    Wasn’t nearly as green as the bottle I opened in November. This featured a distinctly more supple, red fruit profile. Much like my last bottle, this reminds me of a 2008 Chambolle with its lovely floral tones, spicy red fruit and subtle earthiness. Hard to add for much more. (91 pts.)
  • 2007 Rudi Pichler Grüner Veltliner Smaragd Wösendorfer Hochrain - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (1/5/2012)
    Popped and poured (which was a mistake). Feel like this wine is basically shutdown. The nose was tight with some herbs, white florals and some light honeysuckle. Certainly is a big-bodied wine, but that space is essentially filled with a single note of sweet lemon. After a couple of hours, it began opening up a bit, but I’m not going to drink my last bottle for 5-7 years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Picked up some Foillard Corcelettes? I’m still a bigger fan of it over the Cote du Py, at least in the short term. And give us a weather report in late January/February. Maybe you’ll be forced to pay us a visit, if the weather allows you to actually leave :slight_smile:

Weygandt Wines - ITB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i’m with you…Corcelette is > than the Cote du Py by a hair. both are great imo. looking forward to my soon-to-arrive 2010 Foillards!

nerd

[winner.gif]

Nice selection, 2 if which are in my cellar. Count me a fan of the Courcelette, too.

Thanks for the notes. That Paulee is a heck of a bargain.

J

All the producers seem to regard Corcelette as the relative short-termer (I guess I’m talking about Foillard and Bouland here) but there’s no doubting that it’s much more of a charmer on release. I enjoyed the Bouland Corcelette more than the Bouland Delys too.

Foillard 09s are fantastic, albeit a touch asymptomatic of Beajolais. I’m going to enjoy watching them evolve as I have high hopes. Great notes Matt

Absolutely re: Bouland. The Delys should be fun in 5, 10, even 20 yrs but doesn’t show too much now.

[cheers.gif]

I’ve yet to try Foillard’s Corcelette – but glad to see your positive note --am tasting it and the CdP side by side Thursday night. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t hesitate decanting them for an hour or so beforehand.

enjoy!

Matt - Yes, exactly what we planned. :slight_smile: