TN: First Gathering with Blind Tasting Group in Fifteen Months

FIRST GATHERING WITH BLIND TASTING GROUP IN FIFTEEN MONTHS - Chez S1 (5/22/2021)

I provided the wine(except the first) and food. The theme was, “six or Maybe Seven White Wines, Either Single Variety or Possibly Blend, Plus a Red Thrown in For Good Measure.”
The group always asks me if the wine is single or blend so I headed off the question ahead of time. Spoiler alert—all Chardonnay.
The Fourier disappeared first, but the Copain and the Ceritas were also faves. I wish I had thought to record the reaction when I revealed the Rombauer. Most people liked it and called me rude names at the reveal.
Sorry I forgot to take pics of the food.
Chicken liver, heart, and mushroom mousse
Lump blue crab and sourdough bread pudding with lemon and Mandarin aioli
Roasted Cauliflower and Brie pizzas on the Ooni.

• 2014 Isole e Olena Chardonnay Collezione Privata Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Gold. Moderate oak, yellow fruits, good depth, rich mouthfeel.
  • 2015 Copain Chardonnay Laureles Grade - USA, California, Central Coast, Carmel Valley
    Fully integrated now. While I always love the citrus acidity on this wine, it is now in harmony with peach and faint vanilla notes. Minerality still shines.
  • 2019 Rombauer Vineyards Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros
    Thrown into a blind Chard tasting as a fooler. Most tasters, influenced by knowledge of my cellar, were appropriately fooled. While I don’t care for the extreme manipulation of the grape, it is a tasty cocktail.
  • 2014 Ceritas Chardonnay Marena - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Maybe just past peak. While this still showed the minerally citrus acidity I love on this wine, it is beginning to get flabby. Still a favorite of tasters though.
  • 2018 Sandlands Chardonnay Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County
    Lean and subtle. Balance is great with light lemon curd, yellow stone fruit, and nice acidity. I’ll age future bottles a bit longer.
  • 2019 DuPuis Chardonnay Ferrington - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    Exciting new wine from Wells. White flowers, lemon acidity, mineral, and just a hint of oak for backbone. Delicious already.
  • 2017 Domaine Fourrier Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc
    Jeremy nailed the preserved lemon flavor. This wine has put on a little weight since my last bottle but the acid and mineral are still stars of the show. I love this wine.
  • 1972 Domaine Chandon de Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru Ile des Vergelesses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru
    Corked. Pity. NR (flawed)

Decorations included all the holidays we missed during COVID. The mousse was served in a dog bowl to celebrate Kyser the boozehound.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

A friend poured a 2019 Rombauer blind a few weeks ago and I enjoyed it. It was vastly less spoofy than some Auberts tasted a month before.

Careful gents… pretty sure openly admitting that you enjoy anything rombauer is grounds for getting banned from this site.

Fun tasting! I was also impressed with the initial Dupuis wines, particularly the Ferrington. I’ve drunk many bottles of Laureles :slight_smile:

The Laureles is (was) my fave non Burg Chard on the planet

Oops echo

I’m with you both - on the Laureles and the Ferrington!