TN: Donnhoff, Sineann, Clos des Papes, Saxum

WINES WITH NEIGHBORS - John’s (4/20/2014)

Last night my wife and I went down the street to have dinner at a neighbor’s. His wife had passed away a few years ago, and my wife had fixed him up a few months ago. Things have apparently gone well as they had us over for dinner. We brought the wines. Very casual night with little wine talk and lots of other conversation and laughter. As for the wines:
A couple of whites:
With crackers and Humboldt Fog Cheese.
Peggy likes sweeter wines, so we opened both together. I was the only one going between the two and it was difficult to taste in some aspects. Since, however, I was not tasting, I was having fun and didn’t worry about it.

• 2012 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Nahe
    Love this bottling. Such a great value. The nose has minerals, slight fruits, maybe pineapple, apple and citrus. Wonderful body and mouth feel. Great balance. Sweet. Delicious. Long finish. Food friendly. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Sineann Grüner Veltliner - USA, Oregon/Washington, Columbia Gorge
    My first time trying this vintage. I was drinking it next to a Donnhoff Riesling and this tasted dry, but my wife found it to be sweet. I will need to revisit this. Lovely nose of limes and other citrus. Great mouth feel. Nice balance. Lots of minerality. I really liked it, but as I said, I will try it on its own. (90 pts.)

A couple of reds:
With curry with Rice.
These wines made for an interesting contrast.

• 2001 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Really nice showing for this bottle. It took about 30 minutes after pop and pour but then really delineated it self. The nose has raspberries, forest floor, leather and just a hint of earthiness. Fantastic layered complexity on the palate. Plenty of fruit. Juicy. Balanced. Great with food. Seems to be at peak right now. (95 pts.)
  • 2010 Saxum James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    This is delicious and the crowd was split on the WOTN. What an excellent contrast in wine between this and the 2001 Clos des Papes. I think the biggest difference was age as I try to remember back to the CdP release. Of course the Saxum is probably a bigger. Right now its about raw power, fruit and smoothness without much subtlety or complexity. Still, it was quite enjoyable.

A nose of black and red raspberries, some spice, some pepper, some camphor. Great lush texture. Smooth with no heat or tastes of alcohol. Delicious raspberries on the palate. Long finish. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker